Tuesday, March 01, 2011

‘Meet My Helmet’…on Facebook!

Are you a service member or veteran who experienced an in-theater head trauma that could have been much worse without your helmet? Or are you an avid biker who wears a helmet almost daily to prevent head injury, in case of a collision?

Helmets have long protected warriors and athletes from skull fracture and have even saved lives. This month DCoE is recognizing those very helmets – and we want you to get involved!

During the month of March, you have the opportunity to participate in a month-long “Meet My Helmet” virtual event on Facebook. We’re encouraging people to share why their helmet is important; how their helmet protected them from larger injury; or perhaps even saved a life. Personal stories help people connect and rally around important issues.

Meet Robyn Mincher, a DCoE Communications officer who likes outdoor activities:

■“While I’ve never been in the military, I’m passionate about my efforts for DCoE to raise awareness of military psychological and brain injury issues, including prevention. Prevention is what I had on my mind when I recently went skiing at Timberline Resort in West Virginia, for a good reason, because while I like to go fast, controlling my skis isn’t my forte! My helmet protected me when I thought I was skilled enough to tackle the black diamond slopes…and skipped, tripped and tumbled the entire way down. I simply dusted off and headed back to the intermediate level, where I should have stayed put in the first place. Thank you helmet!”

Whether you’ve spent time on the battlefield, football field or ski slopes tell us your story at http://on.fb.me/meetmyhelmet. Don’t forget to upload a photo of you wearing your helmet or video, too!

No comments: