By Denise Emsley, Naval Facilities Engineering Command Hawaii
PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM (NNS) -- The Navy in Hawaii won seven 2015 Historic Preservation Honor Awards May 29 at the 41th annual Historic Hawaii Foundation event held at Dole Cannery, Honolulu, Oahu.
"It is with pride and enthusiasm that the Navy and its team of professionals continue to be recognized for their hard work, dedication and commitment to preserving our history and our military heritage," said Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Hawaii's Historic Preservation Officer John Lohr. "The goal of our Historic Preservation Division is to keep Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam relevant and mission ready as we repurpose our historic facilities to meet today's and tomorrow's opportunities and capabilities; and I am proud to be a part of that team."
The award event included a dinner and presentation of numerous Preservation Honor Awards which have been given annually since 1975. The awards are Hawaii's highest recognition for preservation, rehabilitation, restoration or interpretation of the state's architectural, archeological and cultural heritage.
The Navy received honors in three of Historic Hawaii Foundation's five award categories. Participants accepting the awards included Commander, Navy Region Hawaii Rear Adm. Richard Williams; Commanding Officer, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Capt. Stanley Keeve Jr.; Commanding Officer, Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility Capt. James Kalowsky, NAVFAC Hawaii Historic Preservation Officer John Lohr and various Navy civilians who worked on the seven awards projects. Winning categories/projects:
Preservation Interpretive Media
- "Fort Kamehameha Documentary" Video
- Navy Region Pearl Harbor Naval Complex Historic Context Report
- Quonset Hut Survey and Context Report
- Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam Building 3455 Rehabilitation
- Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam Hangar 35 Restoration
- Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility Building 9 Rehabilitation
- Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility Waterfront Operations Signal Tower S-1058 Rehabilitation