Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Shiloh Officer Receives Tactician Award



By Lt. Frederick Martin, USS Shiloh Public Affairs

SOUTH CHINA SEA (NNS) -- Lt. Manny Dominguez has been named the 2014 Tactician of the Year for Commander, Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 5 in a message released by Vice Adm. Thomas Rowden and Rear Adm. Peter Gumataotao, March 9.

Dominguez, from Bedford Texas, received the award after being nominated by the ship and undergoing an oral board by the strike group staff.

"Lt. Dominguez is my combat systems officer, and one of the most tactically proficient lieutenants I have had the pleasure of working with," said Capt. Kurush Morris, Shiloh's commanding officer. "He has my highest degree of trust in his judgment and tactical decisions, so much so that he is my tactical action officer [TAO] during Shiloh's most critical operations."

The award recognizes individual tactical excellence in each strike group and destroyer squadron around the world.

Dominguez attributes much of his success to Shiloh's crew, who received the 2014 Unit Tactics award for CSG 5.

"This award represents the great watch teams I've been a part of throughout 2014," said Dominguez. "The subject matter experts, our Sailors, and training entities have made me a better TAO and overall watch stander. My chain of command put me in a position to both learn and succeed; I'm certainly thankful and blessed to represent Shiloh for this award."

Shiloh, forward-deployed to Yokosuka, Japan, is on patrol in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operation supporting security and stability in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.

No comments: