Friday, July 19, 2013

Bronze Star: People notice work ethic

by Senior Airman Jared Duhon
436th Airlift Wing Public Affairs


7/16/2013 - DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. -- Tech. Sgt. Doug Beish, 436th Operations Support Squadron C-5 Globemaster III loadmaster trainer, received the Bronze Star Medal here July 10, 2013, for his deployment with the Army in 2010.

Beish deployed to Iraq in July 2010 and served as a liaison to the U.S. Special Operations Command Air Mobility Director and conventional airlift commands.

"I was just a small piece of that puzzle," said the Dover, Del., native. "It is a team effort you can't do it alone or you will fail."

While assigned to the 9th Airlift Squadron, Beish's extensive experience with scheduling and planning led to him being picked for his deployment.

"Going to Iraq was exhilarating, but there was also thoughts of doubt, am I cut out for this, am I capable of doing this," said Beish. "My big fear was failing, because I was working with other branches of service and I felt I was representing the Air Force. I'm going to make mistakes, we all do. I did make mistakes, but I learned from them and grew."

Beish's adaptability has served him well in his career.

"He follows instructions very well," said Master Sgt. Mike Meinhold, 436th OSS training superintendent / aircrew training C-5 M Flight Engineer training manager. "He's a very fast learner. If I give him a tasking, it gets done and I don't need to give him step-by-step instructions."

Beish made a great impression on the army leadership he deployed with.

"I only know the Air Force process," said Meinhold. "The Bronze star was given to him by the army, because at the time he was in an army chain of command. And he had made such an impression on the commanding officer that they told him he was going to get a bronze star. "

Gen. Paul Selva, Air Mobility Command commander, presented Beish with the Bronze Star.

"It was a humbling experience," said Beish. "I felt honored once I found that out, it was almost like the Super Bowl. I want this Bronze Star to represent the teams I am a part of."

No comments: