Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Tribute to Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall

by 45th Space Wing Public Affairs Office
45th Space Wing Public Affairs


4/30/2014 - PATRICK AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- Veterans were honored during the 27th Annual Florida Vietnam and All Veterans Reunion April 28 at Wickham Park in Melbourne, Florida. The reunion features the Traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall.

Chaplain (Capt.) Jason Gunnels, 45th Space Wing, gave the opening prayer and thanked veterans for paving the way for him to serve.

Col. Patrick Donley, 45th Mission Support Group commander, was the opening speaker to a crowd of 400 veterans, family members, community members, and friends. He recalled a story about five security policemen who bravely fought against 600 enemy forces. The men fought for 24 minutes before succumbing to their wounds.

"I often ask myself, how would I have conducted myself on that day if I had been that 19-year-old sergeant in charge of the fire team," said Donley. "It is a humbling question--and I know standing before me today, and etched into the wall behind me are people who made similar sacrifices and led just as bravely."

Visit the traveling wall from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., through May 4. For more information, visit www.FloridaVeteransReunion.com.

No comments: