Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Face of Defense: Crime Fighter Works With New Partner

By Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Houston F. White Jr.
Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow

MARINE CORPS LOGISTICS BASE BARSTOW, Calif., March 22, 2011 – Crime fighting can be a dog-eat-dog world, but with his new four-legged partner by his side, Nadeem Seirafi, a Marine Corps Police Department working dog handler here, is ready to face the challenges that lay ahead.

Seirafi is teamed up with Kit Kat, an energetic 2-year-old German shepherd, after switching to one of his dream jobs.

“My partner’s never sick, he’s never late, he doesn’t talk back and he’s always happy to see me,” Seirafi said with a smile.

Before assuming responsibility for Kit Kat, the 32-year-old officer attended the Defense Department’s Military Working Dog School at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. “The school was fun, and I really learned a lot,” Seirafi said. “Like most military schools, they put a lot of work on your plate, but I had a lot of fun learning a new skill set.”

The 11-week course covered training and patrolling with a dog, searching buildings and detecting narcotics and explosives.

Seirafi’s furry sidekick will have a tall task in front of him when it comes to living up to the standard his master already has set here. Seifari received the Meritorious Civilian Service Award nearly a year ago for reviving a 19-month-old toddler at the commissary. He also received the 2010 Security and Emergency Services Lifesaving Award from Maj. Gen. Anthony L. Jackson, commander of Marine Corps Installations West.

“I was humbled and a little embarrassed,” Seirafi said. “I felt that I was just doing my job, and I wasn’t used to being the center of attention in front of so many high-ranking people. The general thanked me for doing a good job and told me the Marine Corps was proud of me and to keep up the good work.”

Seirafi expects great things from his collared co-worker.

“Kit Kat has come a long way since his training started, because he was really hyper when I first got him,” he said. “He’s a bit of a loner too, which I like, because he doesn’t need all of your attention 100 percent of the time like most dogs.

“I think we’ll be a good team because we both love to work,” he continued. “We might even be the next Turner & Hooch.”

No comments: