Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Airman Spotlight: SSgt Hector Vaca Flores

by Staff Reports
51st Fighter Wing Public Affairs


3/4/2014 - OSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea --

Unit: 51st Aerospace Medicine Squadron

Job title: Bioenvironmental Engineering Technician

Job description and its impact on the overall mission: As manager of the Bioenvironmental Engineering Special Surveillance program, I lead nine technicians in performing in-depth study of worker's exposures in 98 work centers and 5 GSUs. Over the past 12 months, the team has completed 24 hazardous noise studies; collected more than 22 carcinogenic/ Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) expanded standard air samplings; performed 20 radioactive material measurements; and conducted 9 indoor air quality studies. The results of this surveillance are vital to Air Force's compliance with OSHA, but more importantly, to ensure workers are protected while performing their duties and are "Ready to Fight Tonight."

Time in the military: Nine years

Time at Osan: One year

DEROS: Oct. 2014

Family: My "Mum," dad, two brothers, two sisters

Hometown: Indio, Calif.

Hobbies: Snowboarding and traveling

Why did you join the military? To serve my country

Where do you see yourself in 10 or 20 years? Retired, playing golf

What do you do for fun here? I like visiting and exploring enchanting places in Asia, I've enjoyed the warm waters of Guam and indulged in the food and cultures of Japan and S. Korea. I've climbed Mount Seoraksa and Mount Fuji, snow boarded at Phoenix One and High One ski resorts, and visited Boryeong Town during the famed Mud Festival.

What's your favorite Air Force memory or story? Attending a MAJCOM annual awards ceremony in St. Louis to witness the USAF military pomp and ceremony, I was honored to be invited by my friend.

What accomplishment are you most proud of? Completing my CCAF degree in Bioenvironmental Engineering Technology was a great achievement for me but I hope to finish a BS degree in Environmental Engineering in the next three years.

Who are your role models? It's always been my parents.

No comments: