Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Beale Airmen selected for Air Force Volleyball Trial Camp

by by Airman 1st Class Taylor A. Workman
9th Reconnaissance Wing Public Affairs


5/13/2015 - BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif.  -- Two Beale Airmen have been selected to participate in the All-Air Force Men's Volleyball Trial Camp at Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., May 4 to 21, 2015.

Senior Airman Jan C. Flores, 9th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron radio frequency technician, and Senior Airman Michael, 13th Intelligence Squadron geospatial analyst, are two of the 21 Airmen chosen for the trial camp, which promises to put their skills and physical stamina to the test.

Airmen who earn a spot on the final team will go on to represent the Air Force at the Armed Forces National Men's Volleyball Championship in Detroit, May 22 to 27, 2015.
Flores has been training for the trial camp for nearly a year.

"I'm nervous for the trials, but I prepared my body for the intensity of the camp," said Flores. "I've been eating right and getting my body in peak physical condition with concentrated exercise. In my spare time, I find pick up games throughout Sacramento to sharpen my skills."

The trial camp is short in duration but physically demanding, mentally challenging and highly competitive according to the Air Force Sports Program.

"I'm very proud of Airman Flores," said Capt. Troy H. Shettlesworth, 9th AMXS ground communications officer in charge. "We have a very demanding mission in our shop, it can be exhausting. Flores manages to not only excel at his job, but also provide inspiration for everybody around him, including me."

Airmen selected are expected to arrive in good physical shape to ensure the team's selections are based on skill rather than conditioning.

"I had to be very strict during training to get the results I wanted," Flores said. "Once your body can accomplish what you want it to, you have to rely on pure mental strength to assure yourself that there are no limitations to your success."

However, being physically fit isn't just for Air Force sports; it is an essential part of Comprehensive Airman Fitness according to Shettlesworth.

"Flores is an exceptional Airman," said Master Sgt. Sonjia Rodriguez, 9 AMXS lead production superintendent and Flores' section chief. "In his short time on station, he has assisted with more than 300 RQ-4 Global Hawk flights, devoted a year to the base honor guard, he volunteers at a local food bank and homeless shelter, and continuously excels in physical fitness."

Rodriguez said that she is not surprised Flores has been chosen to be a contender for the Air Force volleyball team.

"My main goal now is to be the best I can be," Flores said. "And no matter what, to have fun."

No comments: