Monday, December 30, 2013

Answering the call ... even during the holidays

by Senior Airman Bobby Pilch

12/23/2013 - INCIRLIK AIRBASE, TURKEY -- It's six days before Christmas and the last place I thought I would end up this week would be Scotland and Turkey. Welcome to being an Air Force reservist.

When duty calls, there is never a perfect time and it always seems to occur when we have something pressing at our civilian job, a family obligation or near a holiday. But this is what we signed up for, right?

One minute, we find ourselves in a routine between home, work, family and friends as if it were like an orchestrated playbook. Then, in an instant like a caped crusader, the uniform goes on and we head off to perform our assigned tasks and duties. Entering a culture and environment less than one percent of the U.S. population has had the pleasure to experience or be a part of.

While friends and family back home are getting last-minute stocking stuffers, preparing for visitors and planning what will be served for Christmas dinner, the flight and aeromedical crew I am serving alongside during this mission are conducting critical training in order to maintain proficiency in their skillset.

I find myself in great company, surrounded by dedicated, professional and motivated individuals who put service before self and are pretty damn excellent in what they do. It's rewarding and contagious and keeps me coming back for more.

When I enlisted in the Air Force Reserve almost four years ago, I was told I would meet amazing people and the experience would open doors for me both personally and professionally. I can honestly say that this has held true for me thus far and that my short time as a reservist has been nothing short of what was told to me from the beginning.

So, the fact that I am thousands of miles away from my home leading up to Christmas does not leave me without family. In fact, I am just spending a little more time with my other family who happen to be in the Air Force Reserve.

No comments: