Thursday, March 28, 2013

First term airman earns AF-level award

by Tech. Sgt. Jerome S. Tayborn
15th Wing Public Affairs


3/26/2013 - JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii  -- A Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam first-term Airman was recently recognized as the Air Force Information Dominance Outstanding Cyber Surety Airman of the Year.

The top-level Air Force award recognizes Air Force officers, enlisted members, civilian employees, teams and units for superior performance while providing information dominance and cyberspace operations to the Air Force and Department of Defense missions and operations.

"I feel extremely honored to be recognized for my work that I have done and to show people what I am able to accomplish," said Senior Airman Andrew New, an information assurance officer for the 692nd Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance Group.

As the Information Assurance Officer, New directed Computer Security programs for three wings and 38 tenant organizations, where he overhauled their audit processes and implemented new training and inspection programs. He also led 12 COMSEC Staff Assistance Visits (SAV) which resulted in resolving 36 discrepancies.

Additionally, New established Information Assurance Officers monthly and quarterly checks, which helped to diffuse security risks and instill safeguards for more than 13,000 users. He also trained and certified 95 IAO's, where he provided stringent security guidance for 2,500 network systems and reducing their incident by 25 percent.

"My advice for anyone who is trying to be awarded an AF-level award is to worry about doing a good job at work, not striving to win awards," New said. "People notice good work when it is done. I love my job and the people I work with which makes me strive to give 100 percent one day at a time. And along with that comes awards and recognition."

New didn't receive top honors his first time up for the award yet, he continued to let his superior duty performance speak for itself.

"I didn't win the first time I went up for this award and I let that serve as a motivator for next year's award to do my best so I could receive the opportunity to compete again. The result of that was winning my command's Information Dominance Outstanding Cyber Surety Airman of the Year two years in a row and then winning at the AF level," said New.

According to Master Sgt. Nicholas Horton, 1st Special Operations Command Squadron, Emission Security (EMSEC) manager and New's former supervisor, New was always a reliable Airmen. "We were very impressed with his consistent ability to overcome obstacles in a wing position. He exceeded all expectations every time we handed him a tough situation," said Horton.

"In fact, he constantly was reminding others of things that needed to be done when there was a slow day in the office, just to help keep us ahead of the game. His other supervisors and I really never had to come to him and ask him to find something to do. I could easily see him progressing as a future chief master sergeant. He is already off to a great start," said Horton.

No comments: