Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Commentary - The inspired become the inspiration

by Senior Airman Erin O'Shea
48th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


1/7/2015 - ROYAL AIR FORCE LAKENHEATH, England  -- As a military photographer, part of my job is to keep an eye out for creative perspectives and new inspirations to help share the Air Force story with the world.

Here at RAF Lakenheath, a young boy recently took part in the Pilot for a Day program which allows children with illnesses or disabilities to see first-hand what a typical day is like for a fighter jet or rescue helicopter pilot. The pilots take an active role to step up and step in, to help improve lives just by donating a couple hours of their time.

On July 4, 2014, Liam Buckley was diagnosed with terminal bowel cancer which has now spread to other internal organs. Liam recently graduated from Sheffield Hallum University in South Yorkshire, England, with a degree in Aerospace Engineering and was hoping to further his education. Sadly, he can no longer continue with his education as he's going through rounds of chemotherapy and visits the hospital every other week to have his treatments monitored.

Before I met Liam, I questioned the condition he would be in. To my amazement, I saw him walk into the hangar toward a static F-15E Strike Eagle, and a huge smile surfaced across his face. Liam is a fighter with a big dream.

With more accomplishments in the works, it amazes me the strength this young man has after it was all taken away so suddenly. The love and support from his family is awe-inspiring and could be seen from a mile away.

People like Liam inspire me. Each day, if I feel overwhelmed or uncertain that I can't tackle a challenge set before me, I will think of Liam, who reminds me to persevere and hold fast when life throws us for a turn.

Pilot for a Day is a wonderful program which I have truly enjoyed. Seeing the pilots interact with the children and families brings me so much joy just watching from behind the lens of a camera. The family members are always so grateful and mention how their child will rave about this experience for months to come.

The beautiful part of being in the Air Force is the ability to help other people, sometimes without even realizing our successes. Airmen inspire their families, friends, and people of our nation who admire what they get to do every day.  In order for an aircraft to fly, maintenance squadrons have to maintain it, logistics squadrons have to deliver the parts and so on. We are all part of this mission's achievement.

I like to think of each unit of the Air Force as part of a spider's web, as each part is held together by another. Without all the strings perfectly aligned, the web would fall apart. Without the flawless coordination of this tour, Liam's visit wouldn't have been possible.

Amazing things can fall into place after a bolt is fastened, a part is delivered and a phone call is made. This young British man was able to witness, first-hand, an incredible craft and a job he has been inspired by for years.

I think it is easy to get caught up in the daily grind and tedious tasks that seem so repetitive in our jobs; however, I think it's crucial to take a step back and look at the big picture, and recognize the smaller ways you can impact others' lives in a great way.

It's successful visits like this that make me so passionate about my job and what we do in the Air Force. A strong mission is a successful mission, and, in this case, mission success.

No comments: