Monday, July 28, 2014

MacDill kennel master renders first-aid, saves life

by Airman 1st Class Ned T. Johnston
6th Air Mobility Wing Public Affairs


7/28/2014 - MACDILL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- "I didn't take the time to think whether or not to help him. I saw him get struck by the vehicle and by the time he hit the ground, I was running to his aid," exclaimed Tech. Sgt. Lewis Collins, 6th Security Forces Squadron military working dog kennel master.

Collins, a Chester, Virginia, native, was driving home from a medical appointment July 10, 2014, when he witnessed Walter Padron, a 78-year-old man, get struck by a vehicle when he was crossing the street on his bicycle.

"My first reaction, instinctively, was to help him," said Collins. "I think it has a lot to do with being a first responder.

According to a Tampa Police Department report, Padron was struck by a vehicle moving approximately 10 miles per hour. Unfortunately for Padron, he was not wearing a helmet.

"I saw him hit the ground pretty hard," said Collins. "When I came up to him, he was on his back with his bike tangled up in his legs. He was unconscious from the blow to the ground."

Collins immediately contacted 911 and began to assess Padron's injuries.

"I noticed he had lacerations on the back of his head," said Collins. "I immediately checked to make sure his airways were open, that he was breathing and that his circulation was steady."

Collins maintained steady pressure on the gash to Padron's head and tried to get him to come back to consciousness all while constantly checking vital signs and assessing Padron's overall condition.

"I don't remember much," said Padron. "The only thing I vaguely remember was a man hunched over me holding my head telling me everything was going to be alright."

It took Tampa Police and Fire Rescue roughly eight minutes to respond to the scene from the time the 911 call was made by Collins. When TPD and TFR arrived on scene, Collins briefed them on Padron's condition, and Padron was taken from the scene in an ambulance.

"I've seen numerous things throughout my almost 13-year career, so standing around in shock is something I just can't do anymore," said Collins. "I saw someone in need of help, so I helped out. I'd like to believe anyone would do the same in that situation."

No comments: