Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Face of Defense: Airman Pursues Passion for Bowling



By Air Force Airman 1st Class Mikaley Towle
99th Air Base Wing

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev., July 1, 2015 – He slowly walks to the foul line as his arm swings. He unleashes the ball, and it swiftly rolls toward the pins. With a noise that sounds like 10 champagne bottles being uncorked, the ball sends the pins flying, and he is rewarded with a strike.

Air Force Staff Sgt. Joshua Cramer, a 57th Maintenance Squadron munitions systems technician here, has had a passion for bowling since he was a boy.

"My dad got me into it when I was 6 years old," he said. "It was something that the two of us could do together."

Some people take years to develop a high skill level for a sport, but Cramer said he enjoyed early success at bowling. "I've always enjoyed bowling and I performed really well at competitions when I was younger," he said.

Cramer continued bowling, and he eventually applied to join the 2015 Air Force bowling team. Competing against other applicants at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida, he made the team. In May, he bowled in the Armed Forces Championships.

The Air Force women's team placed second, while the men's team took first place. Cramer and his men's doubles partner finished first in that category, and Cramer placed fourth overall individually.

Strong Support Network

Cramer said he has a strong support network consisting of his family, friends and co-workers.

"They always take the time to ask me how I'm doing, and they give me time to go compete," he said. "They allow me to do permissive leave to go compete rather than having to use [personal] leave when I go."

Cramer’s supervisor said he also excels on the job.

"Staff Sergeant Cramer is one of the best airmen I have had the chance to supervise," said Air Force Tech. Sgt. Joshua Ratliff, 57th Maintenance Squadron small bombs production superintendent. "Whether he is crew-chiefing a 2.75-inch rocket build or finishing his bachelor's degree, he sets the bar high on a daily basis.

“He tackles every job assigned to him -- no questions asked, safely and precisely,” he continued, “with a positive attitude to ensure the small bombs element completes our part in the mission here at Nellis Air Force Base."

No comments: