Thursday, February 23, 2012

Navy Corpsmen Support Marine Wounded Warriors

By Mass Communication 3rd Class Shawnte Bryan, Navy Public Affairs Support Element West

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (NNS) -- Navy surgeons and corpsmen volunteered in the 2012 Marine Corps Trials hosted by the Wounded Warrior Regiment (WWR) aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., Feb. 13-22.

The Marine Corps Trials are a part of the WWR's Warrior Athlete Reconditioning program, which provides opportunities for Marines to engage in both physical and cognitive activities outside the traditional therapy setting.

"I think it is pretty amazing to see double, triple amputees still being active and playing sports that I don't know how to play," said Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Angelique Banks, a volunteer assigned to 3rd Marine Airwing, Camp Pendleton, Marine Aircraft Group 39, Battalion Aid Station. "Throughout the week, I've seen great camaraderie and teamwork, and they are out there giving their all."

Many of the wounded warriors give thanks to Navy surgeons and corpsman for their continuous hard work and dedication with the program.

"When I first was injured back in 2004, I told the doctors that I want to be physical again," said former Marine Staff Sgt Nick Lerma, "Even if I wanted to quit they would not let me. Now, I am doing something that I thought I would never be able to do after my injury - especially not at this level - and that's competing."

"It is really exhilarating to work with Wounded Warriors because they are so inspiring in so many ways," said Navy Capt. Bruce Adams, a regiment surgeon for Marine Corps WWR. "And especially working with the Marine Corps, because they are so driven to accomplish their goals and not let anything get in their way."

More than 300 wounded Marines, Marine veterans and international service members participated in the event competing in individual and team competitions including sitting volleyball, wheelchair basketball, swimming, cycling, shooting, and archery.

Fifty athletes from the event will compete as members of the All-Marine team for the Warrior Games. The Warrior Games, a competition between all branches of service for wounded service members, will take place in Colorado Springs, Colo., April 30- May 6.

No comments: