Monday, July 27, 2009

That Gates Thing

In a recent post I discussed my general disdain for suburban police. Of course, the Gates arrest has been in the news lately, and I have to admit, that at first I sided with the good professor from Harvard.

But I am forced to admit, that as I have learned more, there is no doubt in my mind that Officer Crowley acted appropriately. I was most impressed with his interview; his dedication, professionalism, and general good sense
were on display.

Professor Gates seems to be compeltely out of line. I don't blame him for being upset that the police showed up, I would be too. That said, you don't give the cops a hard time. A piece of your mind, absolutley, but don't follow them down the sidewalk, screaming. This is America, no one needs to be deferntial to anyone else, but Gates was almost asking for it.

Gates showed Sgt Crowley his driver's liscence and his Harvard ID. But why? Did he think his Harvard ID would intimidate Sgt Crowley. Sgt. Crowly is in the Fraternal Order of Police. Like the SEU or the NEA its a big union with a lot of muscle. Gates is a university professor, a job category with a big union all its own. He knows this. Sgt. Corlwey's job was and is safe.


Gates bio reveals a man who has been in the academy his entire life, some good ideas, some bad. Maybe he's been hastled by the cops before, but I bet he hasn't, at least not much, not being the chosen black professor at an Ivy League school. Even if he has, I hate to break it to him, but that's nothing special. I got pulled over late one night becuase I swerved a little ( he thought I'd been drinking), and once got in a shouting match with PA cop at Newark airport becuase I felt he wasn't allowing me enough time in front of the terminal (big mistake by the way, only my clean record kept me from getting a ticket). And in 1998, when a friend and I set of the alarm trying to get into his parents house, the cops showed up too.

Will's book about the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment and the Battle of 73 Easting, is called A Line Through the Desert. It may be purchased at Amazon.

No comments: