Monday, September 29, 2014

Wounded Warrior: 'Excited, confident in myself, team and our competitiveness'

by Senior Airman Michael Ellis
59th Medical Wing Public Affairs


9/26/2014 - JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas -- With less than two days until Warrior Games 2014, one first-time competitor is mentally and physically ready for the challenges ahead.

"I'm going to put my heart out there and do my best," said retired U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Daniel Crane, who represents the Air Force as a member of the 59th Medical Wing's Airman Transition Unit.

Crane was injured while stationed at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, when an anti-American radical fired shots into his vehicle in a random act of violence.

Now, a little more than two years since the life-altering moment that nearly took his life, Crane is still striving to help his fellow Airmen although he is no longer on active duty.

Crane is a mentor in the Recovering Airmen Mentorship Program, where he educates others like himself on the opportunities available for wounded warriors, and motivates them so they too can reach their potential.

Crane will be competing in multiple events.

"I'm very excited and confident in myself, my team and our overall competitiveness," said Crane. "This is a once in a lifetime experience that I won't take for granted."

The Warrior Games commence Sept. 28, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

No comments: