Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hiking to strengthen resiliency

by Airman 1st Class Malissa Lott
366th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


9/17/2013 - MOUNTAIN HOME AIR FORCE BASE, Idaho  -- The Airman and Family Readiness Center hosted a hike in the Owyhee Mountains, Idaho, in commemoration of Comprehensive Airman Fitness Day, Sept. 9, 2013.

More than 20 Airmen participated in a six-mile hike, all the while learning how resiliency helps individuals during difficult feats.

For some, this was an opportunity to forget about day-to-day tasks.

"It was more of a getaway," said Senior Airman Robert Gay, 366th Security Forces Squadron response force leader. "I have different ways of relaxing, of calming myself down, and being able to talk with someone else and just hanging out helps. I just enjoyed the scenery and got to know my other co-workers."

Of course, the hike involved climbing a mountain.

"I was talking to a young lady who has been here a week and a half and hasn't seen any of Idaho. She isn't used to the outdoors we have or any of the steep climbs or traversing up the trails," said Steve Wright,  Airman and Family Readiness Center Community Readiness consultant. "That in itself can invoke a little bit of resiliency, because in your mind you could be thinking 'I can't do this, I've never done this before,' and it really helps to tie in the resiliency piece. Part of resiliency is about bouncing back from what life throws at us."

While some Airmen were able to race to the top, others took it step-by-step, enjoying the moment.

"I am glad that I came, I never actually hiked to this extent before," said Senior Airman James Seals, 366th Operation Support Squadron airfield management shift lead.

Though the hike was difficult, Airmen said they learned a little while outdoors.

"Right when you get to a stopping point, you think you are at the top and finished, then you realize you're not," said Seals. "You still have to keep going."

No comments: