Monday, June 16, 2014

McConnell NCO wins Father of the Year

by Airman 1st Class Colby L. Hardin
22nd Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs


6/16/2014 - MCCONNELL AIR FORCE BASE, Kan. -- Not only is Tech. Sgt. Terrance Williams the NCO in-charge of the 22nd Air Refueling Wing base honor guard, but he's also the American Diabetes Association "Father of The Year."

The ADA recognizes men who excel at balancing fatherhood with a demanding career. The honorees also help sell tickets and tables for the awards dinners, in which the funds raised are used to help cure diabetes.

Managing a family and military career can be difficult. There are long days at work that can keep a parent away from their family.

"Making time is the biggest challenge," said Williams. "It seems like there's just not enough time in the day to be able to balance each child that you may have."

The council receives nominations from the honoree's family members and peers. The award is focused on what the nominees do as fathers, rather than their accomplishments at work.

"One of the unique things about me is, I like to be on the child's level, probably more than I need to be," added Williams. "I think I can relate a lot with the kids, especially my kids. I think you need to have that childish persona, you just need to know how to turn it on and off."

It's not just an award to Williams. It's a chance to fight back against a disease that burdens many people.

"Unfortunately, my wife's side of the family has been stricken with diabetes," said Williams. "It means a lot because I'm able to bring awareness and possibly raise funds to help. The biggest thing to me is knowing that I contributed to the cause in a major way."

No comments: