Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Tapia shares advice, motivation with Columbus Airmen

by Airman 1st Class Daniel Lile
14th Flying Training Wing Public Affairs


4/1/2014 - COLUMBUS AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. -- Command Chief Master Sgt. Gerardo Tapia, Air Education and Training Command, visited Columbus Air Force Base, Miss., March 26 and 27 alongside Gen. Robin Rand, AETC commander, on his tour of AETC bases.

During his visit, Tapia met with numerous Airmen from a multitude of career fields and ranks to discuss everything from education and motivation to his personal expectations of today's Airmen.

"Be the very best Airman you can be, you want to be the subject matter expert," said Tapia. "Be the kind of Airman your supervisors can count on. You want to be the Airman in the shop that everyone else can't wait until you make staff sergeant because they want to work for you."

Advancing Airmen is not just the goal at Columbus AFB but for Chief Tapia as well, and education is a huge role in force multiplying.

"Education to me is a black or white object; there is no gray area," said Tapia. "It is either really important to you or it's not. Education is a force multiplier; if you go to school and come back better educated you are going to be a better Airman. I am an absolutely huge supporter of education."

Airmen don't just coast through their career in the Air Force and make chief master sergeant. Tapia was motivated in his career and encouraged Airmen to continue working hard and doing amazing things.

"I have a lot of things that motivate me in my career; some of them are professional and some are personal," said Tapia. "On the personal side, my family is my biggest motivator; on the professional side I am a recipient of many countless hours of people that have invested in me. I am the benefactor of a lot of people that have had faith in me and that motivate me like there's no tomorrow."

Chief Tapia made it clear to the March Airman Leadership School class that investing in their Airmen is a huge part of being a noncommissioned officer.

"You've got to be involved in the lives of the Airmen that you lead," said Tapia. "We need to motivate, lead and inspire the Airmen that we are in charge of supervising. When I was a young Airman I felt like I belonged, was appreciated and involved in something much bigger than myself and that motivates Airmen."

Chief Tapia and General Rand spoke about how impressed they were with Columbus AFB and the great community that supports the base.

"I think I can speak for General Rand as well as myself in saying that we were really impressed with what we have seen at Columbus Air Force Base," said Tapia. "I saw supervisors taking ownership in their Airmen's lives and I am very pleased by that. You have a beautiful base out here and a community that believes in and supports you."

No comments: