Thursday, December 19, 2013

Kunsan Airman races to Female Athlete of the Year

by Senior Airman Armando A. Schwier-Morales
8th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


12/18/2013 - KUNSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea  -- The Air Force named its top male and female athletes of 2012. One of those named is an 8th Medical Group Airman who finished within the top 100 in all her marathons.

Maj. Elissa Ballas, 8th Medical Operations Squadron physical therapy and health and wellness center flights commander, competed and won the 2012 Athlete of the Year. The Air Force annually recognizes a male and female athlete who excelled in their athletic accomplishments over the past year. Along with athletic performance, the judges also take into consideration other military awards, honors or civic recognition.

"These outstanding athletes are among the best in the military, which is amazing considering they trained and competed during their off-duty time," according to an Air Force Personnel Center release.

Ballas is no stranger to training off-duty, sometimes running an average of 60 miles a week. Ballas, who came in first out of 1,122 female military competitors during the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon, was surprised and honored when she found out.

"The night before I found out, I had been talking to Staff Sgt. Brad Williams (the male winner) and he pointed out that the results had not been released yet," said Ballas. "The next morning I had the email and I was shocked to see both of our names on there! It was just a great feeling since I know Brad and we have been stationed together before."

Additionally in her list of accomplishments she finished 16th out of the nation's top 52 female runners and 74th out of 382 total competitors during the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run in Squaw Valley, Calif.

"Running and sports are such a big part of my life, so it feels wonderful to be recognized for something that I love to do so much," said Ballas.

Ballas initially took inspiration from her father and now her motivation also comes from her superiors allowing her compete and excel in the events she enjoys.

"The shift over the last 5-10 years to emphasize the importance of fitness in the Air Force has really helped me get where I am," said Ballas. "Fitness has always been very important to me, but over the last few years, I've gotten a lot more support from leadership to push me the next level."

While the award pushes Ballas to a new level, she is humbled by being named the Air Force's top female athlete and has no plans to stop competing.

"As for what's next, I will continue racing just as I always have been," said Ballas. "I am looking forward to moving back to the U.S. in 2014 and doing some more races there. I have been overseas since 2010, so I can't wait to do some of the fun races in the states."

No comments: