Thursday, November 12, 2015

Face of Defense: Father, Daughter Make Tech School a Family Project



By Air Force Senior Airman Holly Mansfield 81st Training Wing

KEESLER AIR FORCE BASE, Miss., November 12, 2015 — Most kids graduating from an educational program probably would consider it normal to have a parent or family member attend a graduation.

But for Air Force Staff Sgt. Michael McDonald and his daughter, Air Force Airman 1st Class Breanna McDonald, going through cyber courses at the 336th Training Squadron here at the same time was a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

“I never thought in a million years that we would be going through training with each other,” Sergeant McDonald said. “It’s a chance that doesn’t happen very often, but I’m glad that I got to be here with my daughter. I’m extremely proud of her, and I think she has done a dynamite job during her time here at Keesler.”

Before joining the Air Force, Airman McDonald said, she wanted to be in the military like her father. While growing up, she watched her father progress through his careers in the active duty Air Force, the Army, the Coast Guard and the Air National Guard.

The Next Step

Recently, her father was able to see her take the next step in her military career by attending her course’s graduation ceremony.

“My dad was the main reason why I joined the Air Force, so to be here with him is really awesome to me,” she said. “The fact that he actually got to see my achievements and experience it with me is something that not a lot of people get. I got to have him here telling me he’s proud of me. It’s one of the best feelings.”

The airmen already are excited about what’s next. The pair will be stationed at the Air National Guard’s 178th Wing, based in Springfield, Ohio.
“When he comes back to Springfield, we‘ll be in different units, but we will still be able to get lunch, work out, and do other things with each other,” Airman McDonald said. “I’m excited that my dad and I will be stationed together after he graduates, because it will help build our relationship even further and gives us things in common to do with each other. It is nice having a family-oriented Air Force, because I get to build these bonds while being an airman.”

No comments: