Wednesday, January 21, 2015

One STEP ahead

by Senior Airman Peter Thompson
7th Bomb Wing Public Affairs


1/16/2015 - DYESS AIR FORCE BASE, Texas -- "Do you believe in the Christmas spirit? Do you believe somebody could walk into this room as a staff sergeant and leave it as a tech sergeant?"

Staff Sgt. Raven Taylor, 7th Medical Operations Squadron medical technician, went to work at the 7th Medical Group building Dec. 22, as she had for the past seven months. This day was different than every other day, however. On this day, Col. Michael Bob Starr, 7th Bomb Wing commander, recognized her for outstanding service to the Air Force and promoted her to the rank of technical sergeant through the Stripes for Exceptional Performers program.

Taylor, the youngest of four children, was born in Blackshear, Georgia. From an early age, she showed leadership traits as an exemplary student and cheerleader through college.

In November 2007, after several years of college and earning an associate's degree, Taylor decided to join the Air Force to help guide her career and life in a more purposeful direction.

"I wasn't quite focusing the way I wanted to so I decided I needed to take a detour and get back on the right track," Taylor said.

"My plan was to join, do my four years, get my bachelor's degree and then I would be done," she said.

Taylor started her career at Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, where she stood out amongst her peers. She was an active member of both the base and community. Her plans changed when she earned Senior Airman below the zone and made staff sergeant her first time testing. These accomplishments opened Taylor's eyes to her future in the Air Force.

"I wanted to see what else was out there," she remembered. "I was still education oriented, but that was when I started seeing the possibilities that come with making a career in the Air Force."

Taylor's next career milestone was the most significant up to that date. The Air Force selected Taylor as one of the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year for 2011 while stationed at Yakota Air Base, Japan. In addition to her regular duties, Taylor would act as a conduit for Airmen across the Pacific Air Force and Chief Master Sgt. James Roy, retired chief master sergeant of the Air Force. Together with the other 11 OAY, Taylor worked to address and correct issues with enlisted policy and make a lasting impact on the Air Force as a whole.

"I was very thankful. I did not know about the program before I was selected to be a part of it," Taylor said. "When I got it, I just ran with it. It helped me to become a better Airman, leader and NCO."

On the morning of Dec. 22, Taylor accepted her testing date for technical sergeant. Thoughts of added pressure from testing for a third time ran through her mind as she dealt with her busy schedule. To add to her workload, her supervisor asked her to fill in for a squadron meeting.

"I got to the meeting, everything was normal," she said. "My supervisor and Airmen came into the meeting, but I thought nothing of it really."

While her squadron commander was speaking about the upcoming holidays, Starr and Chief Master Sgt. Eddie Webb, 7th Bomb Wing command chief, walked in.
Starr began asking people about their plans for the holiday.

"I was sitting there, thinking in my mind, please don't come to me, please don't come to me," Taylor said with a smile growing on her face. "I was at the end of the table so I thought I was safe, but he asked me."

"Do you believe in the Christmas spirit? Do you believe somebody could walk into this room as a staff sergeant and leave it as a tech sergeant?" Starr asked.

"It still gives me chills when I think about it. I did not see it coming," she said, tears filling eyes.

The STEP promotion system supplements existing Airmen promotion system by providing a tool available to commanders for promoting to staff sergeant, technical sergeant and master sergeant, those who they feel exhibit exceptional potential.

Taylor's leadership recognized her exemplary career and impact on the Air Force as a whole. She was one of only eight staff sergeants selected to be step promoted in the entire 12th Air Force.

No comments: