Friday, February 07, 2014

A 'Selena' story: Local MHAFB medic selected for premier performance troupe

by Master Sgt. Kevin Wallace
366th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


2/6/2014 - MOUNTAIN HOME AIR FORCE BASE, Idaho -- A Mountain Home Air Force Base Airman and Riverside, Calif., native was selected to perform with the Air Force's premier entertainment showcase 'Tops In Blue.'

Senior Airman Myra Hernandez, 366th Medical Support Squadron nutritional medical technician, learned Feb. 5, that she was selected above 70 others to perform with Tops In Blue.

Hernandez described her blossoming singing career as a "Selena story," referring to the Mexican-American pop musician Selena Quintanilla-Perez, who was named the top Latin artist of the 90s.

Like Selena, Hernandez's father, Raul, was an avid musician and sang to Hernandez and her siblings. During her freshman year at Norta Vista High School in Riverside, Hernandez grew a passion for singing and that flame has been burning progressively brighter ever since.

During a deployment in 2010, Hernandez recalled when Tops In Blue came to perform at her deployed location and inspired her. With five years in the Air Force and currently attending Airman Leadership School, Hernandez said she's very busy with her career, but felt she should try out for the troupe anyways, and succeeded.

"I was deployed and really stressed out and went to see Tops In Blue when they performed, it really brought my morale back up," said Hernandez, who had already tried out for the troupe in 2009 and didn't make the cut. "I knew then I had to try out again, and seeing them perform gave me the courage to go for it. It paid off because I got selected the second time."

Col. Sarady Tan, 366th Medical Group commander, visited Hernandez during her ALS class and shared the news of her selection in front of all her classmates.

After enjoying a brief celebration with her classmates and leadership, Hernandez performed "The Star Spangled Banner" in the ALS Auditorium.

A mere two weeks away from graduation, Hernandez will soon ship off to Joint Base San Antonio, Texas, to begin her nine-month TDY. There, she said she hopes to help people get past work-related stress through music and performance.

"I've always liked performing and my father really supported me, telling me, 'Hey, you can really sing,'" said Hernandez. "I'm shy, but little by little, I've come out of my shell and have learned how to motivate others through my Air Force career. I think it's time I use that motivation and give back. I want to give back with my talent."

No comments: