Thursday, July 04, 2013

Singing Soldier storms stages

by Staff Sgt. Wesley Farnsworth
633rd Air Base Wing Public Affairs


7/4/2013 - FORT EUSTIS, Va. -- Fort Eustis U.S. Army Spc. Reuben Eldridge performed in front of a home crowd of more than 1,300, June 25 at Fourt Eustis, Va., as part of the "Ready and Resilient" 29-base tour.

Eldridge, assigned to the 688th Rapid Port Opening Element, is not only a talented Soldier traveling with the show, but also the Fort Eustis 2012 Operation Rising Star winner. He was ranked one of the top 12 competitors for the Army-wide competition.

"It's a dream come true to be a part of this show," said Eldridge. "I have a passion for singing and performing and I've always wanted to do something with it. Operation Rising Star and this show is a way for me to do that."

"Ready and Resilient" is a high-energy, live musical production that showcases the talents of active duty Soldiers selected by auditions throughout the Army. The 75-minute show is put on by active duty, reserve, and National Guard Soldiers.

Although they are Soldiers first, these artists also have a passion for music, dance and performance, with specialties ranging from information technology to combat medicine; they use music to put an entertaining spin on how Soldiers and their families maintain readiness and resiliency.

Eldridge learned at an early age that he enjoyed singing and had a talent for it.

"My passion [for singing] stems from watching my mother sing with my grandmother. But when I was 14, I learned I had a talent for it," said Eldridge.

This discovery started when Eldridge heard his uncle playing and singing, and decided to sing along. This became a weekly tradition, where eventually family and friends started coming to watch the duo perform.

The performances would become all-day barbeque events, with Eldridge and his uncle singing under the carport for entertainment. Ever since then, he's had a passion for singing.

The Soldier Show was an unexpected step for Eldridge when it came to his singing career.

"I heard about the show before but never really knew much about it," said Eldridge. "When I was at Fort Sam Houston participating as one of the top 12, they asked us to submit an application for the show."

After being accepted to the show and working with the other cast members, Eldridge says that level of professionalism exhibited every day from the other Soldiers has helped him improve as not only a Soldier, but also as a performer.

"I get a chance to perform music that I'm not used to in this show. I'm used to country music where you have a lot of runs, but I do a number during this show ... [which] requires me to actually act it out, and that's something I've never learned how to do," said Eldridge. "Through this show and the other cast members, I've learned about theater and acting and how to incorporate it into my music."

Annetta Thompson from Yorktown, Va., came out to watch the Solder Show at Fort Eustis.

"I absolutely loved the show," said Thompson. "I think the best part was seeing everyone in uniform and being able to shake their hands at the end."

The Soldier Show tour continues, stopping next at Fort Lee, Va. For Elkridge, the remaining performances are just another way for him to showcase his passion.

"The artistic expression of singing drives my passion. Every song means something different to each person," said Eldridge. "Being able to express those feelings is a great outlet for me. It's just like an artist with a paint brush; you can see the expression, but with me, you can hear it."

No comments: