Thursday, November 29, 2012

87th LRS Airman swears allegiance, attains dream

by 2nd Lt. Alexis McGee
Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst Public Affairs


11/28/2012 - JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, N.J. -- "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen ..."

Senior Airman Jorge Contreras, 87th Logistics Readiness Squadron materiel management journeyman, was full of nerves on the morning of Nov. 16, 2012.

Contreras' nerves melded with his excitement as he was about to become a United States citizen in a star-studded ceremony live on the "Today Show."

Contreras, a Peruvian native, has served in the U.S. Air Force for the past four years, but had known for years he wanted to become a citizen.

"I feel like I'm already a citizen," he said. "The ceremony is more of a formality."

"... that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;"

Contreras' quest to become a citizen began in 2010 after he ultimately decided that U.S. citizenship was what he desired.

"I had already lived in America for eleven years when I decided to become a citizen," said Contreras, who calls Elizabeth, N.J., home. "I was raised in this culture so I feel like I'm a part of it. I know this is where I want to raise my family."

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services department contacted Contreras two months after he submitted his application for citizenship. They informed him they were looking to process his application and invited him to attend the "Today Show's" live citizenship ceremony.

"I felt really excited about it," he said. "They saw something in me and I felt really humbled that they called me."

The "Today Show" crew traveled to Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst Nov. 8, 2012, once Contreras' chain of command gave him approval to be on the show.

"I was nervous at first when the crew came down," Contreras said. "But then I realized all they wanted to see was me and you can never be nervous about yourself. Once I got to know the team in person, all my nervousness went away."

The "Today Show" team invited Contreras' mother, Luz Reque, and girlfriend, Karla Espinoza, to attend the show and watch as he made the life-changing declaration.

"I am extremely proud of him," said Espinoza. "I know he tries really hard at everything he does so I feel it is something he deserves."

Espinoza is also working on renouncing her Ecuadorian citizenship to become a U.S. citizen.

"... that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law;"

Nine coworkers and fellow Airmen also traveled to New York City to support Contreras.
"This is a pretty big deal for him," said Staff Sgt. Aldrine Estrella, 87th LRS material management craftsman. "I went through the same thing a few years ago so I know how big of a deal it is to become a U.S. citizen."

Estrella is a Filipino native who earned his U.S. citizenship in 2010. He said he encouraged Contreras to do the same, but was quick to point out that Contreras' independent nature made it so he didn't need much encouragement.

As Contreras scanned the spread of muffins, fruit and bagels the "Today Show" team laid out before the ceremony, he couldn't help but smile in appreciation for what was to come.

"I feel honored that we're doing the ceremony live on the 'Today Show,'" said Contreras. "My mom is here, my girlfriend is here and all the Airmen are here. I feel so honored."
The 38-degree temperature did not stand in the way of the excited soon-to-be U.S. citizens who anxiously awaited the ceremony at Rockefeller Plaza.

"Once they got everything in motion I said to myself, 'forget the cold,'" he said. "I was very happy to get my citizenship in front of my family."

Contreras became a U.S. citizen along with 29 other immigrants, and can now enjoy all the rights of the country he has fought to preserve.

"It feels awesome to now be able to take advantage of all the rights I've been defending," said Contreras, who enlisted in the Air Force at age 21. "To me, it is less of an official title and more of a commitment."

A little more than one week later, Contreras said he is happy he became a citizen and wouldn't change the way he made his commitment to the U.S.

With his commitment to the U.S. in his heart, at the forefront of Contreras' mind throughout the whole process was his family.

"A lot of doors just opened for me and now I am ready to explore them and make my family proud," he said.

"... and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

No comments: