Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Grand Forks Airman to compete at AMC Icon singing competition

by Senior Airman Luis Loza Gutierrez
319th Air Base Wing Public Affairs


10/24/2012 - GRAND FORKS AIR FORCE BASE, N.D. -- A Grand Forks Air Force Base Warrior of the North is scheduled to perform in the AMC Icon singing competition Oct. 25 at Scott Air Force Base, Ill.

Airman 1st Class Andrew Hicks, an aerospace medical technician with the 319th Medical Operations Squadron here, is taking advantage of the opportunity to compete at the Air Mobility Command's top-level singing competition after the base's original winner, Senior Airman Marshall Merriweather from the 319th Logistics Readiness Squadron, announced he would not be able to attend due to preparations for a permanent change of station.

"I was ecstatic, I couldn't believe it," said Hicks about receiving the news to compete at AMC Icon. "It's unfortunate under the circumstance in which it happened because I had come to know Senior Airman Merriweather and was rooting for him."

Hicks said Merriweather was very gracious about the situation.

"He was one of the first people to let me know that I would be going in his place," said Hicks. "He wished me the best of luck and told me to represent well. And that's just what I plan to do."

The event is an AMC commander's initiative.

"AMC Icon provides Air Force vocalists an opportunity to showcase their talent, and with the Band of Mid-America providing accompaniment, the show is truly a tremendous experience for contestants and the audience," said Scott Black, director of AMC marketing and Icon program manager.

AMC Icon is loosely based on the popular TV show American Idol and will feature active-duty Air Force vocalists from all 10 AMC bases.

"I have a feeling that it will be a very fun night of competition," said Hicks. "I know everyone will give their all and do their best, but if what Senior Airman Merriweather told me is correct, then it should be a friendly competitive atmosphere."

Participants compete for $2,000 in cash prizes, and the winner receives a special invitation to audition with the Air Force Tops in Blue--the U.S. Air Force's premier entertainment showcase.

"I knew about Tops in Blue and the opportunities to audition for them, but never would I have imagined that I would have this opportunity so soon in my Air Force career," added the 24-year-old Air Force singer from Colorado Springs, Colo., who arrived on base in mid-June of this year.

"I have been singing all my life starting from a young age in church all the way through college choirs, praise teams and small groups, but as far as for publicity and competition; that is relatively new for me."

Hicks remains very optimistic and motivated despite the attention and limited experience in singing competitions.

He said the tremendous support from his friends, family and coworkers has helped him remain this way.

No comments: