Monday, February 23, 2015

Airman's finance efforts honored

by Senior Airman Jacob Jimenez
Northwest Guardian


2/22/2015 - JOINT BASE LEWS-MCCHORD, Wash. -- One McChord Field senior NCO recently received the highest Air Force-level finance award that a superintendent can receive, but she said she didn't do it alone.

"I work with great people," said Senior Master Sgt. Melisa Bumgardner, 62nd Comptroller Squadron superintendent. "You don't come by an award like this by yourself. This wasn't just me. It's a direct reflection of my entire team."

Bumgardner was recognized Feb. 5, by Col. David Kumashiro, 62nd Airlift Wing commander, for winning the Air Force's "Chief Master Sergeant Larry P. Gonzales Superintendent of the Year" award.

"I'm very honored to have won this award," Bumgardner said. "This was completely unexpected. It's a blessing, a surprise and an honor."

Bumgardner won the award after leading the squadron through sequestration and furloughs, and improving and making financial processes more efficient -- saving numerous manning hours. Under her leadership, more than 20 Airmen were recognized for outstanding performance, winning both McChord Field "Airman of the Quarter" and Air Mobility Command "Airman of the Quarter" awards.

"Being able to help my Airmen progress in their careers tells me I'm doing my job," Bumgardner said. "Leading people in the right direction is paramount to me. It's not about me; it's about them."

Her inspirational leadership also helped three Airmen receive early promotions to the rank of senior airman.

"She cares about the mission, our Airmen and doing what's right," said Maj. Jennifer Smith, 62nd CPTS commander. "I can't imagine another person more deserving of this award. She embodies what an Air Force finance superintendent should be."

According to Bumgardner, she was just doing her job.

"I don't know how I won," Bumgardner said. "I come in every day and do my job just like everyone else. I don't see myself different than anyone else."

Bumgardner is humble enough to say she doesn't deserve this award, but she does, Smith said.

"She is the heart behind the mission and what we do," Smith said. "Without her, we wouldn't be as successful as we are today. She is the glue that holds this squadron together."

Bumgardner said her main objective is to take care of her Airmen.

"These Airmen are the future of our Air Force and part of my family," she said. "One, if not several of them, will be sitting where I am today. I hope to pass on what I've learned in my career to them so they can build upon it and pass it on to future Airmen."

Smith said she never doubts that the Airmen of the squadron are equipped and fulfilling their duties while underneath Bumgardner's supervision.

"She shows our younger Airmen what they are supposed to be doing, how to treat our customers and mentors them on a personal level," Smith said. "She understands that she is mentoring our next generation of Airmen. You can walk around the squadron and see morale here is high as result of her. Her infectious laugh and smile is echoed in our Airmen."

Bumgardner has been at here since 2012. She leaves for a new assignment as a comptroller squadron superintendent in Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, in May, where she says she hopes to continue to make a difference.

"I look forward to get into a new command and learn about their mission," Bumgardner said. "If I can help one more Airmen and make an impact in their career or life, I will have accomplished what I set out to do."

No comments: