Friday, June 14, 2013

The reel standard: Base maintainer master of two lines

by Staff Sgt. Russ Scalf
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs


6/13/2013 - LITTLE ROCK AIR FORCE BASE, Ark. -- A ripple on the water breaks the calm of a serene mountain morning. For a brief moment life seems to stop and take notice as man and nature acknowledge the other's presence on the line.

Master Sgt. Jeff Wade, 19th Maintenance Group quality assurance chief inspector, is in his element. A standout on the Toyota Bassmaster Weekend Series, operated by American Bass Anglers, he carefully manages the responsibilities of being a sportsman, family man and Airman.

For Wade, professional fishing has been a lifelong pursuit. It has often mirrored the challenges and rewards of his military career. While his passion for fishing may have always taken a backseat to being a professional Airman, don't let that fool you: he is a champion in both communities.

"My first memories of fishing are in Spokane, Wash., fishing with my dad and brother," said Wade. "My dad wasn't a big angler. He talked to his buddies at work, and they told us what to do to catch some of the trout up there. We failed, but we did catch a bunch of sucker fish and it was fun, and that's kind of where we got hooked. I think we caught about 30, and we kept every one of them."

Wade first began to consider fishing as something more serious than a hobby during adolescence. He reminisced seeing professionals on television and thinking it could be a possible career path for him.

"Growing up I was watching the pros on TV thinking, I can do that," said Wade. "I've had the desire for as long as I can remember. When I came into the military I was stationed in Georgia, where there were real bass compared to Spokane, and I really cut my teeth there, back in '95-'96. That's when fishing became something more serious than a hobby."

In 1998 he made the leap from fisherman to competitor. His journey began in the back of the boat, fishing as a co-angler in small bass club tournaments. At this level, a big win mostly meant trophies and bragging rights. It was far from the bright lights and big paydays of ESPN and the Bassmasters, but it represented the first step of a long journey.

"Back then it was a lot of getting my tail kicked and learning," he said. "I was pretty thick headed, and you get out on the lake and you have to learn the ropes from these other guys. Some people didn't really want to show you anything, so a lot of it I had to learn on my own."

Throughout this learning period Wade was also acquiring an education in aircraft maintenance. He was assigned to Robins Air Force Base, Ga., as a hydraulic technician, and eventually moved up to the quality assurance office.

"I wasn't exactly mechanically inclined; I guess you can say I learned by fear," said Wade. "I just kept trying to progress. I was (Senior Airman) below the zone, and I was put up for a few quarterly awards. When a job came open in quality assurance, I decided to apply for it."

Characteristically modest, he grudgingly conceded typically the most qualified candidates are selected for the interview process. Wade would spend the next seven years honing his evaluation skills on the flightline, while beginning to excel in the boat.

In 2006 Wade had become exceedingly successful as a co-angler, winning tournaments from the back of the boat. He then took the next step toward achieving his dreams, buying a boat of his own and entering tournaments in the angler division.

"It was a real challenge moving to the front of the boat," said Wade. "As a co-angler you're depending on your boater to get you where you need to be. Now it's all on you. You have no one to blame if you don't catch a fish but yourself; the pressure was on."

Just as he was beginning to reel in his responsibilities as an angler, the military moved Wade's unit, the 19th Air Refueling Group, to Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. Now a Tech. Sgt., Wade was given second pick of open positions within his career field. Arkansas seemed like a logical choice to continue growing his skills in and out of uniform.

"Fishing played a huge role in where my family and I chose to go," said Wade. "Because of the base realignment and my rank, I had the unique opportunity to choose where I went next. I definitely wanted to stay in the south and keep progressing in fishing. I'm really fortunate that my wife is so supportive of both of my careers. We have two great kids and we're always busy, but I definitely couldn't do any of it without her."

The balance between family, work and fishing has been challenging at times for the Wade family. But it's one that's made easier with support of his wife, Stephanie. Through the ups and downs of his fishing career, she has been there to anchor the family.

"It's a team thing," said Stephanie. "We work together as a family or it doesn't go. Our son, Masen, plays baseball and our daughter, Abi, is in competitive cheerleading, we have to work to balance it all out. There have been times we have talked about stopping (fishing). He is gone a lot of weekends, but there are also a lot that he won't fish.

Sometimes he will practice early in the week just to be able to take the kids where they need to be. There are always going to be ups and downs, but as long as he's having fun we'll go as far as he wants to take it. I get just as excited for him at weigh-ins as he does. I enjoy it, it's almost like he's one of the kids. I get excited when he does well, and nervous when he doesn't."

In 2008, after spending the first 13 years of his career in one location working on KC-135 Stratotankers, Wade found himself in unfamiliar waters at Little Rock Air Force Base. He was inserted as the lead hydraulic technician, but would quickly rise through the ranks again. Within a year he would become the section chief of the legacy C-130 aircraft maintenance unit, and within the next year the production office superintendent. During this time frame Wade would also complete tours of duty in Iraq and Kuwait. Time for fishing had become scarce, but he did not give up on his dreams.

"During my first few years at Little Rock I just didn't do a lot of fishing," said Wade. "I would try to get on the water when I could, but my priority was focusing on my career and the needs of the Air Force."

In 2012, all of the focus began to pay off. Wade interviewed to become the 19th Maintenance Group chief inspector. His hiring affirmed the commitment he made to become a leader in his career field. It also provided him an opportunity to begin selecting and mentoring his own inspectors, who would take his place assuring quality and safety on the flightline. The year was capped off by his selection as the senior non-commissioned officer maintenance professional of the year.

Last year also proved to be an exceptional year on the water. Wade entered the Bassmaster Weekend Series, Arkansas division, and began stringing together consistent performances. By season's end, he had compiled enough points to be named Arkansas Angler of the Year, and earned his first trip to the national tournament. A win would see him achieve his lifelong dream of fishing in the Bassmaster Classic, the sport's equivalent to the Super Bowl, which boasts a $500,000 first place prize.

In November on Sam Rayburn Reservoir, in Lufkin, Texas, Wade set out with nothing to lose. Virtually an unknown, he fished his way to fourth place going into the final day of the tournament. The win was within striking distance, but this would not be the day he realized his dream. His four-day total of 50 pounds of bass was enough to best 190 competitors for a seventh place finish.

As close as he came, Wade has not let the disappointment of that final day deter him. He is currently in third place in the 2013 standings in defense of his title.

"I got the money in my head the last day," said Wade. "I stopped fishing the way that was working for me, and I choked. For me, it makes me want to drive that much harder to never have that feeling again. Inside it burned; it was a horrible, horrible feeling."

For Wade the future will continue to be a balance of responsibility and opportunity. The same characteristics that have made him a remarkable Airman have been the same ones that have made him an exceptional angler.

"Whatever I do next, I'll continue to apply the lessons I've learned from fishing and the Air Force," said Wade. "I'd love to fish in the Bassmaster Classic. It would be great if they had a military qualifier. But regardless, I'll continue to use the discipline I've learned in the military to stay with things, like say a strategy on the lake. And I'll use the patience I've learned from fishing, and apply it to my career and just try to continue to improve myself."

No comments: