Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Director of ANG Chaplain Corps: ‘Proud to serve’

by Master Sgt. Marvin R. Preston
Air National Guard Readiness Center Public Affairs


1/13/2015 - JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. -- The work of the Air National Guard Chaplain Corps isn't always noticed and is sometimes a bit difficult to measure, but that doesn't worry Chaplain Col. William T. Yates, director of the Air National Guard Chaplain Corps.

Yates' favorite quote, "not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted," has been attributed to Albert Einstein and others, but what's important is its meaning.

It takes a great deal of strength and faith to help Airmen through difficult times and Yates understands the care and relief the chaplains and chaplain assistants bring. The work they do every day for Airmen really counts; even if it's not easily measured.

Recently selected as the new Director of the ANG Chaplain Corps, Yates describes how he felt when he learned the news.

"It was both humbling and exciting," said Yates. "I am surrounded by brilliant and capable people at the [Air National Guard] Readiness Center and in the field. I learn something new every day."

Yates' grandfather served as a maintainer during World War I, keeping biplanes flying over the skies of Europe and his father served as a fighter pilot during World War II, flying the same skies, so service in the Air Force was the natural choice.

The path for Yates began more than 29 years ago, at K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base, Michigan in the Air Force Reserve, and on to the 101st Air Refueling Wing, Maine ANG, the 181st Fighter Wing, now Intelligence Wing, Indiana ANG and on to Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hawaii, where he served as ANG Assistant to the Command Chaplain.

"I learned about the chaplain corps through the encouragement of several ANG chaplains who were friends and ministers I highly respected," said Yates. "In time and through prayer, I came to see that this was part of God's calling for me. I took the step forward, never looked back and I'm glad I did."

Today Yates serves at the Air National Guard Readiness Center and advises the Director of the ANG and Headquarters United States Air Force Chief of Chaplains on all matters that pertain to religious freedom, accommodation, morale, and related activities of the ANG Chaplain Corps.

"I often stop and think to myself, I can't believe I get to do the things I'm doing with the people I'm doing them with," said Yates. "I'm proud to serve and it's a joy to lead."

In his new capacity as director of the ANG Chaplain Corps, Yates' top priorities uses the acronym PROS and focuses on Professional development, Readiness and religious Support, Operational knowledge and experience, and Strong Bonds.

Professional development

"We are deeply committed to the professionalism of our nearly 600 chaplains and chaplain assistants so that we present the most capable personnel to our states and nation," said Yates.

Readiness and religious support

"We focus on training and resourcing the field so that our chaplain corps is mission ready and capable of delivering the best spiritual care and religious support possible to the men and women of the ANG," said Yates. "It's part of our first freedom, the First Amendment guarantee of the free exercise of religion. In addition, we are ready to serve and support both religious and non-religious members with Comprehensive Airman Fitness, resiliency training, counseling, human care and support of families. We are always looking for ways to creatively address emerging issues and needs".

Operational knowledge and experience

"We continually focus on training and equipping the ANG Chaplain Corps to be effective in both global deployments and homeland all-hazards operations," said Yates. "Our Directorate plans and executes the chaplain corps piece of the annual Patriot Exercise. This is the only accredited field-based joint training exercise in our country and we are proud to have the experts on religious support on our staff here at the National Guard Bureau."

Strong Bonds

"This program receives DANG approval and has touched close to 30,000 Airmen and family members over the years with tools to strengthen marriages, increase resiliency and reduce factors that lead to relationship failures and suicide," said Yates. "I encourage everyone to participate in a Strong Bonds event. You learn a lot while having a lot of fun together."

The ANG Chaplain Corps will continue to meet the spiritual needs of highly trained, dedicated, Airmen and Yates is enthusiastic about his term as director.

"I love the Air National Guard and I love being a chaplain to our men and women in uniform," said Yates. "I want to do everything I can to support and advise our senior leaders who selected me for this position. I know from all the things I read, see and hear that our care and presence in the Air Guard really counts and makes a real difference in the lives of others. I thank God for that."

No comments: