Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Airman's pre-deployment story leaves a mark

by Master Sgt. Jeff Walston
307th Bomb Wing Public Affairs


4/1/2013 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. -- When Senior Airman Jeremy Goss stood up during a Yellow Ribbon event to reflect on why he joined the military, his story brought home a special meaning of serving this country to one of the support staff.

The Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program is a Department of Defense effort to promote the well-being of National Guard and Reserve members, their families and communities, by connecting them with resources throughout the deployment cycle.

Goss, who is now deployed to Southwest Asia, attended the pre-deployment YRRP event Jan. 18-20, in San Diego, Calif., and never expected his "little" story would get the response it did.

During a breakout session about resilience, one of the Cadre speakers asked to hear from the youngest Airman in the group on where they were during the 9/11 attack in 2001.

"I remember (that day) at school everything changed. Teachers were shielding the students from something," Goss said. "You could tell something had happened, because there was a lot of sadness in their faces. I wanted to do something."

"At the age of 15 or so, I talked to my parents about enlisting. My father had been in the Air Force, so he was okay with it, but mom never was," he said.

According to Goss, at the age of 17 his parents signed for him to enter the U.S. Air Force.

"People were surprised," he said. "I don't think they expect it."

Unbeknownst to Goss, the Command Chief Master Sergeant for Air Force Reserve Command  was in attendance at the YRRP.

The next morning, Chief Master Sgt. Kathleen Buckner introduced herself to the group and told Goss' story, and then asked him to come up and join her on stage.

"Airman Goss' story has changed my life forever, and it will be the strength I need as I continue to be the voice for over 55,000 enlisted men and women serving in AFRC." Buckner said. "Airman Goss is just one of the thousands of highly skilled, motivated and patriotic warriors we have serving our great nation in our armed forces. It has been indeed a privilege and a blessing to have served with and for them all!"

"Remember the name Jeremy Goss - he will continue to do great things and is already more than qualified to serve in my position or better yet - the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force!!" she said.

It was a memorable moment for Goss.

"I didn't think my story meant that much. I was really honored by Chief Buckner's presentation. You don't meet the Command Chief every day. It was pretty cool," Goss said. "I'm not going to lie, Goss said. "I was almost in tears."

Goss is scheduled to return to the states sometime later this year.

No comments: