Monday, December 22, 2014

Wingmanship: An inspiring bromance of excellence

by Airman 1st Class Erin R. Babis
48th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


12/19/2014 - ROYAL AIR FORCE LAKENHEATH, England -- I never thought I'd buy into the Wingman concept.

In basic military training, it just meant I couldn't go to the latrine by myself. In technical training school, it meant always marching with someone during the duty day. Now, after a series of unfortunate events, I understand that a Wingman isn't just someone you're required to have by your side from time to time; your wingman can be your lifeline.

I remember being told by my squadron chaplain in BMT that, "There are two things that never exist at the same time: comfort and growth."

Personally, I haven't been comfortable since I joined on Jan. 7, 2014.

Change and personal growth are not only constant, but necessary, in the lives of every military service member. Through this transition, it helps to have a friend by your side, whether they're supporting you through tough times or simply there to share dinner with you at the dining facility.

In the military, it can easily seem like everyone is either coming or going, and we are always saying goodbye to each other. The Wingman concept helps create a sense of consistency where there isn't any. It fosters a culture where, regardless of how long we've known each other, everyone takes care of one another.

I was lucky enough to meet Airman 1st Class Justin Bishop, 48th Operations Support Squadron aircrew flight equipment journeyman, and Senior Airman Michael Weston, 48th OSS intelligence analyst. They fully embody the Wingman concept, motivating each other to accomplish their goals and supporting each other, even from afar, during deployments.

Over dinner at the Knight's Table Dining Facility, Bishop and Weston told me the story of their first encounter with one another.

"We officially met in the kitchen," Weston said.

"He started attacking me with advice!" Bishop joked.

"I was just curious to get to know your intentions and what kind of person you were," Weston said, in his defense.

"He laid it out on the table," Bishop explained. "He said, 'This dorm was Dorm of the Quarter last quarter. We set the standard.'"

Weston told Bishop that the previous occupant of his room had earned senior airman below-the-zone and that he hoped Bishop could achieve the same.

"We hold ourselves to a high standard," Weston said. "It's all we can do."

"It's all we know," Bishop added.

Serendipitously, Bishop was assigned the dorm room attached to Weston's and, informally, Weston became a mentor to Bishop.

"He has seen me go through my steps of achieving things," Weston said. "He had a first look at the year ahead of him."

"He wasn't trying to," Bishop said. "He had no idea he was mentoring me, but it was happening."

Both Airmen have now earned BTZ. Weston was named the 48th Fighter Wing Airman of the Year for 2013 and Bishop was recently coined by Lt. Gen. Darryl Roberson, 3rd Air Force and 17th Expeditionary Air Force commander, for superior performance. Those are only a few examples of their many accomplishments. They have also volunteered countless hours for a variety of organizations and have played on various intramural sports teams.

I'm not saying that success is defined by the number of awards someone wins or coins someone receives, but these are just tangible measures of accomplishment. Without the support they gave each other it's possible that they might not have accomplished such success.

In the few months that I've been here, Bishop and Weston have supported not just each other, but any Airman who might need a little extra help. I've been that Airman from time to time, and it has meant the world to me to know that I can count on them to bolster my spirits during times when adjusting to the Air Force way of life might not have been the easiest.

"I always feel like achieving something as a team is much easier than achieving something by yourself," Weston explained. "Justin and I are a little team. He helps me with my goals, and I help him with his."

"I think it's important that people find someone they can relate to," Bishop said. "They can help each other reach their goals."

Bishop and Weston gladly share the knowledge they've accumulated during their time at RAF Lakenheath. The DFAC is their favorite place to meet people and share their wealth of information on how to succeed.

"It's a great place to spot new people," Weston explained. "At this point, we're veterans of this base. Once you're a veteran, I think it's time to share what you know with others. Ask if they have questions or if they need anything. We've done that several times at the DFAC."

"You have to be nice to people," Bishop added. "The first time I saw Weston was at the DFAC, he was talking to random people, and I thought, 'These people might think he's crazy,' but now I feel more confident to ask the person sitting next to me, 'Hey, what do you think?'"

"We like to talk to people," Weston said. "It's basically the key to it all. We like to have conversations with people we haven't met before. We get to hear different views and opinions on different subjects, and it opens our eyes."

I hated everything about the DFAC when I first got here. Now, I look forward to it, despite the food, because I've made great friends there.

Bishop and Weston coined their own phrase: "Killin' this Air Force thing."

"I think 'Killin' this Air Force thing' means, to us, that there is no finish line," Bishop explained. "You accomplish something and then move on to the next thing."

"We are doing it because we enjoy it, and we like to succeed," Weston said.

These days, Bishop and Weston aren't just a shining example of the Wingman concept to me, but they are my friends, my Wingmen. They inspire me to do my best, and they lift my spirits every night while eating dinner at the DFAC.

No comments: