Monday, February 22, 2010

The 65th Anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima


By Petty Officer William Selby

February 22, 2010 - As our crew drove down Interstate 95 South toward the National Museum for the Marine Corps for the 65th Anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima, I tried to figure out just how to ask someone to recount what has to be one of their most horrific memories.

We arrived at the museum about 45 minutes before the ceremony and my nerves were shaky at best. I’ve photographed several high profile officials as well as athletes but these men had my palms sweaty and my tongue twisted. They have lived to tell about a war and battle that I’ve only read about in history books as the worst war of the 20th century. I can’t think of words that would describe the level of respect that I have for these veterans.

After I composed myself, I scanned the room and saw many emotions and expressions of pride. These veterans weren’t afraid to cry; they seemed proud, as if to say, “I’ve been through hell, but I’m a Marine and I survived.”

Charles Smith was the first Marine veteran I interviewed. He gave a very firm handshake, smiled and introduced himself in a very low voice. I asked him to explain what the ceremony means to him. About five seconds into his response, Charles began to get emotional, which was a recurring theme among these brave men. Charles explained that recalling friends who lost their lives at Iwo Jima gets him emotional every time he thinks about it.

I thought I was finished with my interviews. But while I was looking at battle artifacts in the museum I ran into another retired Marine. “Hello there,” said retired Marine John J. Fuller or “Jack” as he asked me to call him.

I asked why he wasn’t out enjoying the ceremony. Bingo! Jack spent a good 10 minutes recounting his dramatic experience at Iwo Jima and more. Jack served in B Company, 1st Battalion, 21st Regiment, 3rd Marines. His company started with 250 men and by the end of the battle, only eight of them had survived. All the officers in his company had been killed, so Jack led them, and he continued to do so after the battle. Jack served in the military for 33 years and retired as a colonel in the Army National Guard.

The honor and sacrifice of Col. Fuller and all the men that I talked to today has left me in awe and I thank them for their service.

No comments: