Friday, January 15, 2010

Waiting for the 'sadness to hit'


Florida Guardsman anticipates news of family in Haiti
By Master Sgt. Thomas Kielbasa
Florida National Guard

(1/15/10) -- As the world turned its attention to the devastation caused by an earthquake in Haiti this week, one Florida National Guard Soldier was waiting for word from family members living in the Caribbean nation.

Capt. Ludger Monfort of the 83rd Troop Command was paying extra attention to the media coverage of the Haitian relief efforts and hoping that his aunts, uncle and cousins affected by the recent earthquake in Haiti are alive and safe.

"I almost didn't believe it," the 32-year-old Guardsman said, describing his initial feelings after hearing about the deadly earthquake. "My immediate reaction was to call my mother (in Miami) and find out what was going on." Monfort was born in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince, and said much of his extended family still lives in Haiti.

For the past few days, Monfort's family in South Florida has been trying to get any information they can about their relatives living in Haiti. Monfort said he has about 30 relatives living throughout Haiti, although he hasn't spoken with many of them in years.

He said they have only received word that his aunt and uncle living in Port-au-Prince survived the 7.0 earthquake and the havoc it caused in the capital.

"They were at their place of business in a bank when the earthquake (struck) so they stayed there because their house had tumbled over," Monfort said. "But they stayed in the bank the entire time and they're there right now. But for anyone else we have no idea what is going on right now."

Monfort is based at Camp Blanding Joint Training Center in North Florida, but said he plans to visit his mother in Miami this weekend and try to be a "focal point" of stability for his immediate family in the U.S. "It's shocking, but I try to stay calm whenever things like this happen," Monfort said, speaking rapidly with a slight Haitian accent. "I don't want to overreact, especially when I talk to them...I am highly concerned, but I guess I don't show it as much."

As a young child, Monfort lived with relatives in Haiti, and in the early 1980s he came to the U.S. to be with his parents, who were already working in Miami. He became a U.S. citizen later while serving on active duty in the Army.

Now, as Monfort watches ongoing television coverage of the Haiti's earthquake recovery, he said he finds comfort in seeing the extensive humanitarian relief efforts.

"They are trying, and to me that is the most important thing," he said. "But I know it is very difficult. I'm happy to see the effort as opposed to not seeing any at all."

According to news reports, U.S. assets are already arriving in Haiti, including search-and-rescue teams, medical personnel and relief supplies. After hearing early estimates of death-tolls and seeing the images of the earthquake-ravaged capital on the news, Monfort said he expects at some point to hear bad news about his relatives in Haiti.

"The bottom line for me is I'm really concerned, and I'm waiting for that batch of sadness to hit me once I hear about it," he added.

Should they be needed, the Texas Guard members would work closely with and assist local authorities as needed, Guard officials said.

No comments: