Friday, October 10, 2008

Face of Defense: Corporal Keeps Weapons, Marines Ready for Battle

By Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Murray
Special to American Forces Press Service

Oct. 8, 2008 - A Marine assigned to Combat Outpost Rawah here repairs various weapons systems. But while his daily job takes priority, teaching Marines how to use the weapons they were born with is Marine Cpl. Trevor Ryan's true passion. Ryan, 21, a native of Sandusky, Ohio, serves with Task Force 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 5.

"I love to teach, I love being a Marine, and I am completely infatuated with [the
Marine Corps Martial Arts Program]," Ryan said.

Over the five months Ryan has spent deployed to Iraq, he has graduated 50 Marines from his MCMAP courses. He said he prides himself in helping Marines achieve their martial arts goals.

"He makes his students earn their belts, and doesn't just give them to them," said Cpl. Demario Walker, 21, from Greenville, S.C., an administration clerk with Task Force 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines. "If the student is willing to put in the time to learn and [work hard] during the class, he will make sure they succeed."

Although the ongoing point of his classes is to make Marines proficient in hand-to-hand combat techniques, Ryan tries to add some of his own goals.

"I teach self defense,
leadership traits and how to be a good Marine," Ryan said. "[MCMAP] gives me another sense of purpose and pride in the Marine Corps besides just doing my job. I love what I do."

Ryan said he plans to not only continue teaching Marines in MCMAP, but also to help new servicemembers learn his specialty as he continues his
military career. He has received orders for small arms repairer/technician instructor duty at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.

"I know while I'm there, I want to be a MCMAP instructor, too," he said.

(Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Murray serves with Regimental Combat Team 5.)

No comments: