Saturday, May 03, 2014

Department of the Navy Hiring Conference Connects Employers, Wounded Warriors, veterans



From NAVAIR Corporate Communication

PATUXENT RIVER, Md. (NNS) -- Many wounded warriors and veterans would still be on the battlefield today if an improvised explosive device (IED) had not detonated nearby.

For retired Army Capt. Eivind Forseth, it was an IED in a taxi in Mosul, Iraq, in 2005 that paralyzed his right hand and disabled his arm. However, after 23 surgeries and three years of recovery, Forseth remains committed to the men and women on the front lines.

"I knew my Army career was coming to an end, but I also knew I wanted to stay in the fight," he said. "I still wanted to use my background, specialized training and tactical experience to support the warfighter."

That attitude led him to his job at Naval Air Systems Command, Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD), Point Mugu, California, where he serves as a civilian sea range test manager for the MQ-8C Fire Scout, and facilitates upcoming tests of the F-16 Seek Eagle stationed at Edwards Air Force Base.

"I'm so grateful to NAVAIR and NAWCWD for the opportunities I've had," he said. "I honestly don't know where I'd be if I weren't here."

Forseth is one of thousands of wounded warriors hired by NAVAIR, other DoD commands, federal agencies and private industry - several of which will be attending the 4th Annual Wounded Warrior Hiring and Support Conference May 28-29 in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Day one of the free two-day conference offers employers, human resources professionals, hiring managers and perspective leaders the opportunity to discuss challenges and resolutions; develop relationships between the private sector and military transition commands; discover best practices to enrich wounded warrior and veteran hiring programs; and share knowledge. Several wounded warriors and veterans will share their perspectives during a panel discussion.

Day two features the Hiring Heroes Career Fair with more than 60 federal agencies and private industry employers with job opportunities for wounded warriors, veterans and their spouses.

No comments: