Wednesday, January 28, 2015

USO brings Game On to Tyndall

by Senior Airman Alex Echols
325th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


1/28/2015 - TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla.  -- Briefings or training sessions usually include a PowerPoint presentation and a very dry presenter, but members of Team Tyndall just had one consisting of games lead by a comedian.

The United Service Organizations brought Game On Nation to Tyndall Jan. 21 to 23 to build confidence and teach communication and leadership skills through interactive games.

Game On Nation is a company dedicated to training groups in communication, leadership, teambuilding and media training through fun and interactive games that break down barriers and create a positive, comfortable environment.

"I actually didn't know exactly what we were doing when I came in," said Staff Sgt. James Hendel, 325th Civil Engineer Squadron Explosive Ordnance Disposal technician. "I just saw that the 'Rabbit' was going to be there and I was like, 'Come on guys! Let's go!' It turned out that it was a public speaking confidence booster kind of session, and it was really cool."

Erik Stolhanske, actor/writer from the movies "Super Troopers", "The Slammin' Salmon" and "Beerfest" and member of the comedy group Broken Lizard, facilitated the hour and a half long sessions.

"When people play the games, they are actually watching behavior, and when they see that behavior, you can teach lessons based on it," said Stolhanske. "It anchors the message and gets people involved. As humans, we are actually wired to want to play games, so it is a fun way to teach and listen."

Over the three days, Stolhanske led nine sessions attended by a total of 196 Team Tyndall members.

"It taught me that I have to bring a positive attitude on to the stage with me," said Hendel. "If I walk in there all apprehensive about it, then the speech is probably not going to go as well as it could, but if I go in there with a positive attitude and own the situation, then I can make it a lot of fun."

Stolhanske has been with Game On for about two years and works mostly with military members. He was born without a fibula and grew up with a prosthetic leg. This inspired him to work with military members that had been wounded or lost a limb, volunteering and visiting them in the hospital.

"I was doing that before I got involved with Game On," said Stolhanske. "Our movies have been very popular with the military, and I wanted to be able to give back in my own way. It seemed like a natural fit that I would work with the military. I love it."

Technical Sgt. Lloyd Estes, 325th Force Support Squadron readiness NCO, has been working with the USO for about a year and a half to assist families of deployed Airmen. When he found out that they offered the Game On seminars, he jumped on the opportunity to bring them to Tyndall.

"I think it is great for the entire base," said Estes. "It builds confidence. We had some Airey NCO Academy instructors that were in a session. They got a kick out of it and got some skills that they are looking forward to taking back to the academy. That to me is exciting to know some of these things are going to go in to use immediately. I'm also looking forward to teaching resilience using these skills."

Stolhanske is hoping he gets to return to Tyndall in the future.

"I've had nothing but a great time here, and the hospitality has been second to none," said Stolhanske.

No comments: