Friday, April 13, 2012

Face of Defense: Marine Inspires With Positive Attitude


By Marine Corps Lance Cpl. William Waterstreet
Marine Corps Air Station Yuma

WASHINGTON, April 13, 2012 – If happiness dwells in the soul, as the ancient Greeks believed, then Marine Corps Cpl. Michael “Mikey” Raymundo is a prime example.

“I just like to have fun and not worry about what’s going to happen tomorrow,” Raymundo, a Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron comptroller here, said in a recent interview. “Just live in the moment. I like to make other people laugh, and I don’t care what anybody else has to say. As long as I’m happy with myself, I’m good, and I know I’m always doing the right things.”

The El Paso, Texas, native is at the center of every social interaction, and he always is wearing a smile. He brings energy and laughter to a room, his squadron buddies say.

“When he’s not there, everyone keeps asking, ‘Where’s Mikey? Where’s Mikey,’” said Cpl. Maxmillion Page, the Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron legal chief. “He has a very vibrant and unique personality, and everyone loves to have someone like that around. He’s loyal. He’s my brother.”

“I’m no different from anyone else. I’m just outgoing. I want to be sociable. I want to get out there and help out my friends. Oh, and I’m sexy,” Raymundo said with a grin.

While growing up in Texas, Raymundo said he tried to branch out and try new things.

“Growing up, I always tried to take on new challenges,” he said. “I always like to try new things, and if I have an opportunity, I’m going to take it. I don’t care about money, materials, cars or possessions. None of that matters to me. As long as I’m healthy, my family’s good and we have what we need to survive, that’s all we really need.”

Now 24, Raymundo became active as a teen in wrestling and football, playing as a starting linebacker. He would spend summers with his grandmother across the border in Juarez, Mexico.

He attended El Paso Community College after high school and earned his associate’s degree in criminal justice. While going to class as a full-time student, he also worked as a corporate trainer for Famous Dave’s, traveling across the Southwest and opening stores.

After earning his degree in 2008, he decided to enlist in the Marine Corps.

“I wanted to join before it was too late,” he said. “I wanted to do something different, and ever since I was little, I wanted to join the Marines. It was now or never.”

At the end of his active service, Raymundo plans to join the reserve unit in his hometown and continue with the Corps until retirement.

However, he also has goals outside the Corps. He said he plans to become an entrepreneur, and already is working on a couple of inventions. One, a stationary workout machine, already has a patent pending.

“I couldn’t do the workout I wanted to do one day because it was raining,” he explained. “So I started drawing things up and talking to people.”

Regardless of what happens, Raymundo always stays positive.

“I don’t know if it’s going to be a great invention,” he said. “I’m just going with the flow and doing what my instinct tells me. I’ve got nothing to lose other than money, and money comes and goes.”

Raymundo keeps a positive outlook to see his goals through. He also has some advice for others.

“Live life. Smile. Don’t be so grumpy. Don’t act so cool. Don’t act so tough. Be a humble person and love everyone around you. Respect your family and friends. Do good things and good things will happen to you. Go out and get it. Don’t be shy, and don’t be scared,” he said.

No comments: