Monday, August 06, 2012

Understanding voting rights and military responsibilities


By Wisconsin National Guard Public Affairs

Next week Tuesday (Aug. 14), voters in Wisconsin will have the opportunity to narrow the field of candidates for the U.S. Senate. The Dairy State has been politically charged since 2010 and politically active this year — at least six primary or general elections in 2012, to include next week’s primary and the Nov. 6 general election.

As a Wisconsin National Guard member, your role in the political process is a little narrower than the average citizen. Your right to vote is a given. Beyond that? It depends.

Can I write a “letter to the editor” expressing personal opinions about political candidates and issues? Yes, but don’t make your statement as a member of the military

Can I write or sign partisan political articles, letters or endorsements for publication that solicit votes for or against a partisan political party, candidate or cause? No

Can I attend partisan and nonpartisan political events like fundraisers, meetings, rallies, debates and conventions as a private citizen spectator? Yes

Can I take an active part in partisan political activities like fundraisers, rallies, conventions, campaign management or debates? No

Can I serve as an election official? Yes, but not as a representative of a partisan political party, and doing so can’t interfere with military duty and cannot be done in uniform

Can I sponsor or be an official for a partisan political club? No

Can I have a political bumper sticker on my privately owned vehicle? Yes

Can I have a large political sign, banner or poster on my privately owned vehicle? No

Can I donate to political organizations, parties or committees? Yes, but don’t exceed current contribution limits set by law

Can I solicit or collect political donations from service members or civilian federal employees for promoting a political objective, cause or campaign, or actively promote (including selling tickets for) partisan political dinners and other fundraisers? No

Can I sign a petition for a specific legislative action or to place a candidate’s name on an official election ballot? Yes, as a private citizen, so long as doing so doesn’t obligate you to take part in partisan political activity

Can I speak at a gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate or cause? No

Can I take part in any radio, TV or other program or group discussion that advocates for against a partisan political party, candidate or cause? No

Can I encourage others to vote? Yes, but you cannot influence their choice in voting for a candidate

Can I march or ride in a partisan political parade? No

Can I help with organized efforts to bring voters to the polls? Not if that effort is organized by a partisan political party, cause or candidate

Can I attend a partisan political event as a member of the military? Only if you are in a joint Armed Forces color guard as part of the opening ceremony of a national convention for a political party recognized by the Federal Elections Committee

Can I work for a partisan political committee or candidate during a campaign, on election day or closing out the campaign after election day? No

Can I run as a candidate for federal, state or local government? Only under special circumstances — check with the Staff Judge Advocate’s office (608-242-3072 or DSN 724-3071) for more details

Can I exercise my freedom of speech to say what I really think about office holders? Not by using contemptuous words

Can a candidate or campaign organization use my armory or base? Candidates and elected officials can only participate in official activities at military facilities that are not related to political campaigns — direct any and all such requests to the Wisconsin National Guard Public Affairs Office at 608-242-3048

Don’t forget to be careful when using social media like Facebook or Twitter. Posting or tweeting our opinions about politics or politicians might send the wrong message if we identify ourselves on social media by our military status.

This is not a complete list of do’s and don’ts, but it’s a start. For more information, check out The Adjutant General (TAG) Policy Memorandum 29 — Political Activities. Still have questions? Post them here, or contact the Staff Judge Advocate’s Office.

No comments: