Friday, July 02, 2021

Road Trip Day Ten: Temples, Restrooms and Moon Pies

Shrine Irem Temple

I left Lamar, Pennsylvania just after 8AM to begin the 5 hour 313 hour drive.   East on Highway 80 and then northeast on Highway 84.  A little after merging onto the 84 I stopped at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. I made this stop because I had spent time before the trip browsing websites for interesting stuff.  One of the sites I particularly like is AbandonAmerican.com. The site author created the site “to capture the mesmerizing beauty and lost history of the various derelict buildings dotting our country's landscape.”

On of those “abandon” buildings is the Shrine Irem Temple in Wilkes-Barre.  It was in built in 1907 for


$230,000 (That would be over 6.5 Million in today’s dollars).  It has a large stage and at its peak could seat over 1400 people for a banquet.  It was purchased by the local Chamber of Commerce, and they intend to renovate it. 

The renovation website says, “The Irem Temple building in Wilkes-Barre is a national treasure and the nation’s most significant example of Moorish Revival Architecture. With its four towering minarets and large stained-glass dome, the building is unlike any other Shriners auditorium in the world and was the crown jewel of Wilkes-Barre for over 60 years. “

Masonic Lodge, Wilkes- Barre

I could not find out why the Shriners sold the building.  But if I was to guess I would say a combination of increasing cost for upkeep, declining membership and a change in the wealth of men who belong to Freemasonry.  Sadly, standing across from the building it felt like monument to the decline of Masonic influence.

Two blocks north and on the other side of the is a Masonic Temple.  The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania website indicates that two Lodge reside here. 

I left Wilkes-Barre and got off the highway again a little further north in Scranton.  The are both “brick” towns.  There are tons of beautiful bricks buildings.  Both have huge old brick factory furnace chimneys around the city.   From the highway they look like giant fingers pointing skyward.  A drove around a bit, got a cup of coffee and got back on the trail. 

I followed the highway into Upstate New York.  I have this persistent impression that New York is a

View from my Hotel in Hartford

vast city of skyscrapers.  Every time I drive through upstate I am reminded that New York State contains vast areas of wilderness and rural areas.  Whereas Ohio has Oasis stops and Pennsylvania has Welcome Centers, New York State (like California) seems to build rest stops because they have to.  I guess I have sunk to reviewing rest stop bathrooms. 

As soon as I got over the border into Connecticut, the highway came to a complete stop.  It was 60 miles of stop and go traffic.  As I sat there in traffic, I observed that most of the license plates where from New York or Maryland. Then I remembered it is 4th of July Weekend.  Ugh, I caught cities draining out.  And, it started to rain.  That’s right 62 degrees and raining.


I finally arrived at Hartford, Connecticut.  It is only my second hotel room in 10 days with a city scape.  Actually, a nice change.  I checked in and hunted down a place to eat.  I highly recommend the Hilda’s Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf at the Trumbull Kitchen in downtown Hartford.  Instead of at traditional ketchup based topping, it has a peach-based BBQ sauce topping.

Finally, I accomplished a major goal of the trip:  Moon Pies!

Tomorrow I am off to August, Maine, the apex of my trip.

 

 

No comments: