Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Airmen save man's life

by Senior Airman Shane M. Phipps
366th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


8/27/2013 - MOUNTAIN HOME AIR FORCE BASE, Idaho -- Two Airmen recently saved an elderly man's life near a Mountain Home, Idaho department store, July 28.

"We were going to have a barbeque, and came out of Wal-Mart when we saw two panicking individuals bent over a person lying on the ground," recounted Senior Airman Jorge Ferrer, 366th Equipment Maintenance Squadron aircraft armament systems. "We immediately ran up and tried to see what we could do."

After assessing the situation, the Airmen sprung to action using Self-Aid and Buddy Care techniques.

"I could tell he was having a seizure," said Senior Airman Jason Costello, 366th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron weapons load crewmember. "It looked like he fell and smashed his face, because he had blood and spit in his mouth and a gash on his forehead. Somehow he had been turned onto his back."

Assisting through the entire ordeal, Costello and Ferrer remained calm and tended to his needs.

"When I ran up to him, he was extremely pale," said Costello. "I was nervous it would be too late, but I bent over his head to determine what was wrong. I heard him gurgling, so I did the head-tilt, chin-lift maneuver we learned in SABC, and he started coughing everything up. By that time paramedics showed up, and let Jorge and I continue helping, strapping him on the gurney and putting him in the ambulance."

The Airmen's quick thinking proved impressive to those who witnessed, including first responders.

"When I arrived on scene, Costello was on his knees assisting the injured man who was actively engaged in a seizure," said Melanie Broughton, Mountain Home Police Department patrol officer. "The injured man was bleeding from his head and had fluid coming out of his mouth."

Her confidence in the two Airmen was only bolstered the more they worked to help the injured man.

"Costello came up to me afterwards and I noticed he had some blood on him," she said. "I was impressed by the fact he knew exactly what to do and even though he had blood and fluids on him from the injured man, it never deterred him in his efforts to help."

Costello and Ferrer's courage has not gone unnoticed among their leaders, who say they set an example for all Airmen to follow.

"As a non-commissioned officer, I love their reaction," said Staff Sgt. John Moyle, 391st Fighter Squadron weapons team chief. "It's bittersweet to say something like that because I hate the situation, but I love the fact two young Airmen stepped up. There are a lot of cars off that road on a Sunday and to have two young guys take initiative and know they need to assist, is awesome. That drive is going to show in their future careers."

Moyle hopes this situation will help shine light on the importance of Air Force annual training, like SABC.

"You hear a lot of gripes about all the annual training we do, but I think it's for this exact reason," he said. "If we weren't getting the briefs and the education, who knows what could have happened. I think them having military bearing and the right training, ensured this gentlemen is still here today."

The two Airmen remain humble, attributing their quick thinking to military training and experience.

"Being in the military, it felt like it was our duty to stop and see if we could use our skills to help," said Ferrer. "It's something I'm going to carry with me the rest of my life."

Costello is also thankful for his military experience, helping him triumph in a considerably trying situation.

"I felt scared, but I knew what needed to be done and tried to remember the basics," he said. "Without a doubt in my mind, this man would have died or been brain dead had we not been there."

The action of the Airmen that day reminds first responders, like Broughton, why they do what they do, she said, explaining:

"I feel so honored to be a member of this community where there are people who are willing to take the time and go through extra effort to help those in need."

No comments: