Military News

Monday, August 24, 2015

F-16 Crash Update #5: Initial Recovery Efforts Complete; Local Partnership Continues

by Staff Reports
52nd Fighter Wing Public Affairs


8/24/2015 - SPANGDAHLEM AIR BASE, Germany -- U.S. Air Force recovery and environmental teams from Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, have completed initial recovery efforts following an F-16C Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft accident near Engelmannreuth in the county of Bayreuth, Germany, Aug. 11, 2015.

All six of the F-16's 25-pound training munitions have been recovered. Most of the main parts of the aircraft were removed last week and transferred to Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, for further study and inspection by the Safety Investigation Board there.

"Our recovery team has done a great job in working a speedy and efficient process for our Safety Investigation Board," said U.S. Air Force Col. Steve Horton, 52nd Fighter Wing vice commander. "It's due in large part to the great partnership we've had with the German military Bundeswehr, local forest rangers, and construction teams during this recovery effort. We value the community very much and they've helped us bring our mission to completion and mitigate adverse effects on the environment and the habitat."

Although the recovery team returned to Spangdahlem Aug. 22, 2015, officials continue to work with local partners to complete the recovery process.

Now that the crash site is clear of aircraft debris, base leadership has notified host-nation county officials from Landratsamt Neustadt Waldnaab and control of the site has been transitioned to the local German government. Spangdahlem AB personnel will continue to work closely with host-nation counterparts to ensure that remediation is accomplished in accordance with respective host-nation environmental laws.

Claims for compensation related to the F-16 aircraft accident can then be filed with Schadensregulierungsstelle des Bundes, Regionalbüro Süd in Nürnberg, which will in turn work with the U.S. Army Claims Service for reimbursement.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation. The Air Force will release a final report in the coming months detailing the findings.

"We thank the local community, the U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria, local police and first responders for their support during the incident and the subsequent recovery, cleanup and investigation endeavors," Horton said.

For more information, please contact the 52nd Fighter Wing Public Affairs office at 0656-561-6555 or 52fw.paoffice@us.af.mil.

--30--


GERMAN TRANSLATION

F-16 ABSTURZ ERGAENZUNG #5: BERGUNGSARBEITEN WERDEN ABGESCHLOSSEN; PARTNERSCHAFT VOR ORT LAUEFT WEITER

FLUGPLATZ SPANGDAHLEM, DEUTSCHLAND--U.S. Bergungs- und Umweltteams vom Flugplatz Spangdahlem, Deutschland, sind daran, die Bergungsarbeiten im Bereich der Absturzstelle des F-16 Kampfjets, das am 11. August 2015 in der Nähe von Engelmannreuth im Landkreis Bayreuth, Deutschland, abgestürzt war, abzuschliessen. Die meisten Teile des Flugzeuges wurden in der letzten Woche von der Unfallstelle entfernt und zwecks weiterer Untersuchungen und Ermittlungen der Sicherheitskommission zum Flugplatz Spangdahlem transportiert.

Dies beinhaltet alle sechs 25-Pfund-Übungsmunition der F-16.

"Unser Bergungsteam hat schnelle und effiziente Arbeit im Hinblick auf das Untersuchungsprozedere der Sicherheitskommission geleistet," sagte Oberst Steve Horton, Vizekommandeur des 52. Jagdgeschwaders. "Dies war groesstenteils moeglich aufgrund der hervorragenden Partnerschaft, die wir von Seiten der deutschen Bundeswehr, den oertlichen Forstleuten und Bergungsteams erfahren haben. Wir schaetzen die Gemeinde sehr, die uns geholfen hat unseren Auftrag fertigzustellen und negative Effekte auf die Unwelt und das Umfeld zu mitigieren."

Auch wenn die meisten Bergungshelfer des Teams am Samstag und Sonntag nach Spangdahlem zurueckgekehrt sind, werden offizielle Vertreter weiterhin mit den oertlichen Partnern zusammenarbeiten, um die Bergungsarbeiten fertigzustellen.

Die Bevoelkerung sollte sich weiterhin aus der Naehe der Absturzstelle fern halten, um abschliessende Bergungs- und Reinigungsarbeiten nicht zu behindern.

Militaerische Verantwortliche werden die deutschen Partner des Landratsamtes Neustadt Waldnaab informieren sobald alle Wrackteile entfernt sind. Zu dem Zeitpunkt wird das Militaer die Absturzstelle nicht laenger sichern und das Gebiet wird von den deutschen Behoerden kontrolliert. Deutsche Behoerdenvertreter koennen einen Umwelt-Reinigungsplan mit allen involvierten Stellen ausarbeiten. Dies gewaehrleistet dass Anstrengungen in Uebereinstimmung mit dem deutschen Umweltgesetz stattfinden.

Schadensansprueche, die im Zusammenhang mit dem F-16 Absturz stehen, koennen an folgender Stelle geltend gemacht werden: Schadensregulierungsstelle des Bundes, Regionalbüro Süd, die wiederum die Ansprueche zwecks Erstattung weiterleitet an die U.S. Army Claims Service.

Der Vorfall wird weiterhin untersucht. Die Untersuchungskommission wird einen Endbericht in den kommenden Monaten bekanntgeben mit Einzelheiten zu den Ermittlungen.

"Wir danken der Bevoelkerung vor Ort, der U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria, der oertlichen Polizei, und den Einsatzkraeften fuer Ihre Unterstuetzung waehrend des Vorfalls, und fuer abschliessende Bergungs- und Aufraeumarbeiten im Vorfeld der Ermittlungen," sagte Horton.

No comments: