Monday, August 10, 2015

Intel Airman sets record

by Staff Sgt. Rachelle Blake
55th Wing Public Affairs


8/10/2015 - OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE, Neb.  -- For the average Airman, the beginning of their career looks pretty similar: complete basic military training and technical school and then at their first duty station, knock out career development courses.

When Airman 1st Class Nathan M. Dunster, 55th Intelligence Support Squadron electronic warfare systems apprentice, arrived at Offutt in August 2014, after finishing basic training and technical school, he had already set the bar high.

"It did not surprise me to learn he graduated top of his class from his six-month-long technical school and prior to that, earned honor graduate at BMT," said Staff Sgt. Raymond Holmer, 55th ISS RC-135 systems maintenance instructor, and Dunster's supervisor.

It wasn't long before he set it even higher. After tackling four volumes of CDCs, comprised of 562 pages, Dunster took his end of course exam.

He earned a 95 percent, the highest EOC score ever recorded in his career field. But, it was no easy feat.

"I studied at least an hour a day and did in-depth reviews with my supervisors," Dunster said. "I knew I wanted to do well on my CDC's. I felt that the Air Force was paying me to perform and so I should do the best job I can."

And that is exactly what he did.

"Getting the EOC score he did is awesome," Holmer said. "Throughout his CDCs he was also going through eight months of RC-135 systems training, scoring equally as high with an average of 94 percent and graduating top of class. From day one, Airman Dunster has shown a lot of motivation to learn our complex system and help out whenever he can. He always goes above and beyond."

Dunster is grateful to his leadership and said he still has a few things he would like to achieve in the near future.

"I am proud of my leadership for encouraging and empowering me to do my best," he said. "Next I would like to work on becoming an officer or at least earning my bachelor's degree."

But whatever he decides to do, his supervisor is confident he will go far.

"Dunster has under one year of time on Offutt Air Force Base, but I believe he will shine in the 'RJ' program and the Air Force," Holmer said. "He truly strives for excellence in all we do."

No comments: