Thursday, February 12, 2015

Squadron commander motivates, encourages and inspires through fitness journey

by Air Force Staff Sgt. Wes Wright
JBER Public Affairs


2/12/2015 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- "I need to get my butt in the gym."

It's a phrase many people have probably uttered at least once in their life. For some, the battle of the bulge is a constant struggle. Fitness is a multibillion dollar industry. The Internet is awash with all the latest and greatest trends, fads and secrets - for a price.

However, according to one Airman on JBER, the secret doesn't lie in wraps, creams or pills. All that is needed is discipline and hard work.

On Jan. 5, 2014, Air Force Maj. Michael Bliss, 703d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron commander, weighed 257 pounds with a low muscle-to-fat ratio. Standing at 5 feet, 10 inches, it was aesthetically not a good look, and more importantly, not healthy. Today, he weighs 213 pounds, has abdominal muscles beginning to show, runs triathlons, and can bench press 315 pounds.

"I've always been a bigger dude," Bliss said. "But I had an epiphany. I thought, 'Man, I'm a commander and I'm sending people out of the Air Force for fitness reasons, and I'm barely holding on. I'm 46. I decided to get a handle on it to get where I truly want to be.'"

The determined major started from ground zero: seeking out the advice and support of others who had achieved success. He began researching fitness and nutrition, and started a routine that incorporated cardio and weight lifting.

"I had to educate myself," Bliss said. "I was getting stronger in my upper and lower body. I love doing squats, but I can't do them due to a bad lower back. So I started exploring fitness exercises I could substitute in, which led me to PiYo. I started in November and did it about eight times leading up to my  physical fitness test in December and got a 95."

PiYo blends Pilates and yoga, strengthening the core muscles and enhancing the mind-to-muscle connection.

According to Bliss, PiYo has been just one part in the big picture of his fitness journey so far.

"You have to change your mindset. Look at it as changing your lifestyle, not just following a diet or workout routine. You have to understand it and embrace it; and it doesn't have to be freakish."

Bliss said planning is key to realizing fitness goals.

"Standing in front of the fridge when you're hungry - if you don't have a plan in place, you're going to fail," Bliss said. "You need to have a meal plan and a workout plan. You don't want to walk into the gym and think, 'what do I feel like doing?' That doesn't work because you never really feel like doing cardio or things you may be weak at. You have to make it a personal priority. "

While Bliss emphasized the importance of having a plan and strictly adhering to it, he said he also understands that sometimes life just gets in the way.

"As a husband, father and commander, there are important priorities that get in the way," Bliss said. "Having a plan in place will allow you to adjust and be flexible. I think where people get discouraged is they think, 'Oh, I can never have sweet treats or a cheat meal.' That's not true. You can make progress in your goals and still have occasional treats and splurges. We're human. We need things like that to stay sane.

"I sit down with a calendar and plan everything out: my meals, workouts and work schedule. Valentine's Day is coming up. Am I going to be that guy who doesn't take his wife out for a nice meal? Of course not, but I'm going to plan it into my diet."

Bliss said people need to make the best decision possible when forced between a rock and a hard place with their nutritional needs.

"It's about consistency and incremental change," Bliss said. "I've been doing this for a while and I've probably put three perfect nutrition days back-to-back-to-back. Things come up. You think, 'Man, I haven't eaten in four hours and I left my food at home.' Well, it may not be the best solution, but perhaps I'll go get a fast food grilled chicken sandwich with no mayonnaise. You make the best decision you can."

After finding his own success, Bliss decided he wanted to give back. He created a Facebook fitness page called 'Bliss Fit Life' where he posts tips and shares motivational stories, encouraging people to not give up.

"My main motivation is to help other people," Bliss said. "I want to show people I'm a real dude with a real job and a real family. If I can do this, you can do this. I try to teach people you have to find your own motivation. If you're doing it for somebody else, you'll be able to excuse yourself out and rationalize anything.

"Whether it's wanting to be healthier so you can be more active with your kids, or if you're a supervisor and want to be a good example, whatever it is, it has to come from within."

Bliss recently became certified to teach PiYo classes and does his best to help people make progress in their goals.

Tech. Sgt. Brenda Robinson, 517th Airlift Squadron Aviation Resource Management assistant noncommissioned officer in charge, attended one of his recent classes at the JBER-Elmendorf fitness center.

"This is my first class; I really enjoyed it," Robinson said. "It works every muscle group and isn't overwhelming. It was challenging but not impossible. He was very motivating and explained the exercises in an easy way.

"I had a baby and its hard getting back into it. His success is inspiring. If he did it and he's willing to take the time to lead others, it makes you want to at least give it a shot."

After the class, Bliss shared his motto for success: Plan your work and work your plan.

"If you plan, you're going to be able to overcome missteps because you've thought about it. When you put thought into your life and into your plan, you will be successful in all things."

While Bliss publicly insists there is no one secret to success, his real secret came out in the end.

"The closest thing I have to a secret is this," he said in hushed tones and with a wry smile. "At the Shoppette, they have these dark chocolates with chili in them.

"Every night, I have two squares of it, no matter what. That helps me to be disciplined through my day, because I know I get a reward at night."

No comments: