Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On the run again: Airman selected for opportunity to compete in 2016 Olympics

by Senior Airman John Nieves Camacho
4th Fighter Wing public affairs


5/19/2014 - SEYMOUR JOHNSON AIR FORCE BASE, NORTH CAROLINA -- U.S. Air Force 2nd Lt. Samantha Morrison, former 4th Fighter Wing public affairs deputy chief, was recently accepted into the Air Force World Class Athlete Program at Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The world class level program, which begins in the summer, is two-years long and provides Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard Air Force personnel the opportunity to train and compete at national and international sports competitions with the ultimate goal of selection to the U.S. Olympic team.

"I'm very excited that I was accepted into the WCAP," said Morrison. "Thanks to my great leadership that supported me and pushed me to apply, I'm able to pursue this golden opportunity."

During her time at the Olympic training, she will conduct strength and recovery training four - eight hours a day. This will include high amounts of swimming, cycling and running to prepare her for the Olympic trials. At the conclusion of the program, if she qualifies, she will be eligible for a spot on the U.S. triathlon team.

"I would love to compete on the Olympic Team," said Morrison. "However, selection for the team is always really close and competitive. I'm just going to live day-to-day and try 110 percent every single day with nutrition, working out, rest and recovery, put them all together and see what my body can do."

Morrison has already competed in competitions across the U.S., such as the IRONMAN World Championship and the Wildflower Triathlon, garnering top three positions more than five times. In the last competition she came in first in all three sections of the triathlon for her gender and age, making her one of the fastest females in the Department of Defense.

In order to prepare for her competitions, Morrison said she trains daily, performing various swimming, biking and running exercises.

"The training is rough," said Morrison. "I think I'm in a constant state of soreness, so I don't notice as much anymore. The IRONMAN races leave me limping for a week. Luckily, I love the sport, so the training is my escape."

Morrison believes the program will offer a more training-friendly schedule.

"It's going to be awesome," said Morrison. "It's really hard to dedicate 100 percent to work and training. Working through the duty day and trying to cram in four hours of training before and after work was hard to handle; my body shut down sometimes."

Maj. Amber Millerchip, 4th FW public affairs chief and Morrison's supervisor, said she is impressed and proud with Morrison's attitude and work ethic.

"It was amazing to witness Morrison's equal dedication to her strenuous training routine while simultaneously learning the craft of public affairs," Millerchip said. "This whole-hearted commitment also extended to her PA team and was a true inspiration to the Airmen she led."

Since the age of 15, Morrison has trained for triathlons; sometimes, spending more than 20 hours per week training during high school.

"Being a professional athlete is probably top on the list of a lot of people's dreams," said Morrison. "I know it's been mine since I was born, I just never thought it would happen. I've worked extremely hard toward this goal. I'm very lucky."

She also attributed her drive to excel from the principles instilled in her by her parents.

"My parents helped get me where I am today," said Morrison. "They always pushed me to do the best I could in everything I accomplished. My whole life has not been about me going to a race with the goal of winning in mind. When I work out every day it's always to see how well I can do."

Vanessa, Morrison's mother, said she feels her daughter deserves this opportunity to go to a world class program.

"I'm amazed at how well she's done," said Vanessa. "She works too hard for a human; I don't know how she does it. Samantha's always done exceptionally well in everything, always wants to do more and be on top. There is a lot of hard-working talent out there, but I think she works just a little harder than everyone else."

Although Morrison is leaving her first duty station, her coworkers have offered their support in her career and future goals.

"Lt. Morrison has been absolutely phenomenal since she arrived here," Millerchip said. "We are definitely going to miss her however; we are thrilled she is pursuing her dream."

No comments: