Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Team Seymour Airman selected for AF World Class Athlete Program, sets sights on Olympics

by Senior Airman John Nieves Camacho
4th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


5/20/2014 - SEYMOUR JOHNSON AIR FORCE BASE, NORTH CAROLINA  -- After a thumbs up of endorsement by the U.S. Triathlon Olympic Staff, 2nd Lt. Samantha Morrison, former 4th Fighter Wing Public Affairs deputy chief, was recently accepted into the Air Force World Class Athlete Program in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The two-year program, currently underway, provides Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard Airmen the opportunity to train and compete at national and international sporting competitions with the ultimate goal of selection to the U.S. Olympic triathlon team.

"I'm very excited to be accepted into the program and get this shot," said Morrison. "If it wasn't for my leadership encouraging me to apply back in January, I wouldn't have had the courage to even try.

"Being a professional athlete tops the list of a lot of people's dreams and it has been my dream since I was born; I just never thought it would happen," she added. "I've worked extremely hard toward this goal. I'm very lucky."

Morrison, a triathlete since the age of 15, competes in triathlons across the nation, from the IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i to the Wildflower Triathlon in California. In this year's IRONMAN competition, she came in first in all three sections of the triathlon for her gender and age, making her the fastest female in the Department of Defense. Morrison is also the only female triathlete in the WCAP for the whole DOD.

During her time at the Olympic Training Center, she'll train up to eight hours a day swimming, cycling, running, and other strength and recovery exercises. While entry into the WCAP doesn't guarantee a slot in the upcoming Olympics, Morrison says the program is the ideal vehicle to give her her best shot.

And Morrison is no stranger to training. In order to prepare for her previous competitions, Morrison swam, ran, and biked daily while maintaining a vigorous work schedule in the public affairs office.

"It was amazing to witness her complete dedication to her strenuous training routine while simultaneously learning the craft of public affairs," said Maj. Amber Millerchip, 4th FW Public Affairs chief. "Her whole-hearted commitment also extended to her PA team, to whom she is a true inspiration."

Morrison makes no bones about the difficulty of her training, but she says it's a way of life for her.

"The training is rough," she said. "I think I'm in a constant state of soreness, so I don't notice as much anymore. The IRONMAN races leave me limping for a week. Luckily, I love the sport, and the training is like an escape for me."

Over the last year, Morrison has competed in more than 10 triathlons, finishing first in four. She attributes her drive to excel to the principles instilled in her by her parents.

"My parents helped get me where I am today," she said. "They always pushed me to do the best I could in everything. But my whole life hasn't been about me going to a race with the goal of winning in mind. When I work out every day, it's always to see how well I can do."

Vanessa, Morrison's mother, said her daughter never ceases to amaze when it comes to her capabilities and effort.

"I'm amazed at how well she's done," said Vanessa. "She works too hard for a human; I don't know how she does it. There's a lot of hard-working talent out there, but she just might work a little harder than the rest."

Heading into the Olympic Training Center, Morrison has her eyes set on several goals.

"I would love to compete on the Olympic Team," said Morrison. "However, selection for the team is always really close and competitive. I'm just going to live day-to-day and try 110 percent every single day with nutrition, working out, rest and recovery. I'll put them all together and see what my body can do."

No comments: