Thursday, February 19, 2015

Former Marine sensei imparts wisdom and respect through martial arts

by Air Force Tech. Sgt. Robert Barnett
JBER Public Affairs


2/19/2015 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- "I will work hard to build true confidence through knowledge of mind, honesty of heart and strength in the body," begins the student creed of Sensei Ken Riley's Ketsugen Karate class at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson's Arctic Oasis community center.

"To keep friendship with one another and to build a strong and happy community; I will never fight to achieve selfish ends, but to develop for self-defense."

The class is deemed successful by teacher and families, who give the credit to each other as they continue to learn and grow.

The sensei - Japanese for teacher - wouldn't have it any other way.

When Jazmine Bowman, who joined the class at 11 years of age,  she found it "scary and nerve wracking."
"It's okay," Riley told her. "Just do your personal best."

A child with Asperger's Syndrome, Bowman said it was not easy for her to make friends, but "this class has been awesome, because I have had the opportunity to develop good social skills."

She received her yellow belt after a year of training.

"I was ecstatic and extremely proud of my accomplishment over the past year," she said. "When my sensei told me 'You're an amazing student and I hope you will continue these classes until you're a black belt,' I made a promise to myself that I would."

Now 13, Bowman has taken on a leadership role.

"It is so much fun helping newer students learn, because it feels as if they are looking up to me," she said.

"When we help each other ... it helps me improve my skills and learn skills I am still having troubles with, because I have to concentrate really hard to teach something that is difficult for me.

"One of the biggest things that I love about this class is that everyone is nice, caring, funny and understanding," Bowman said. "We all come together to learn and be stronger, healthier and positive adults."

Riley, a ninth-degree red belt in Goju-ryu Karate and seventh-degree red belt in Ketsugen Karate, has been practicing and teaching for more than 40 years.

Both belts are considered higher than black belts, and Riley has nearly reached the highest possible rank.

He began studying self-defense while growing up in New York.

"I grew up in Harlem, in New York City; it was a very violent place at the time," he said. "Going downtown was risky back in the day. Training in martial arts gave me confidence to go places and not be scared.

"Going to competitions helped me realize I did have potential. I was competing against people who were my age or older, my belt level or higher. I did quite well. The more I did it, the more I fell in love with it."

He credits his skills to his teachers, including Gerald Gaylord, his first instructor in New York.

"One of my New York teachers, Peter Flores, said to always give back," he said.

"I've learned, and I'm always a student, even [now]. Students show me things I did not teach them.

"That's what it's all about. If you can pass that on, then you've done a good job."

He earned his black belts prior to joining the Marine Corps, where he served from 1974 to 1976. He began as a rifleman, but it quickly became clear he had close-combat skills, so he became a close-combat instructor. His unit hosted internal tournaments and he won them all, becoming the first All-Military Martial Arts Champion.

"They recognized that this was what my specialty was," he said. "I spent a lot of time in the gym. I loved it; this has always been my passion."
After separating from the Marines, Riley returned to teaching his passion.

Parents have sent letters thanking Riley for years.

"The karate class was awesome," said Yelka Donnolly, wife of Army Maj. Ken Donnolly, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division.

"We had the best experience possible while [our son] Kenny grew as a young man under the teaching of Ken Riley. Keep the Rileys as instructors forever; they really care about the kids."

"It's just amazing what [Riley's] done with [my son]," said Jennifer Grzegocrczyk, wife of Spc. Eric Grzegorczyk, 4-25 IBCT. "[Riley's] done everything he can to help [my son] get promoted and do well.

"[My son's] really energetic and it helps him get his energy out in a productive way. He went to a competition and won a bronze medal in sparring. He loves it."

"Sensei Riley was extremely patient with the students and was able to effectively manage a classroom of 4-and 5-year-olds," said Kimberly Payne, mother of a student.

"As an educator myself, I know that is remarkable ... Sensei Riley exhibits the qualities of a good teacher. He is genuine, caring, respectful, knowledgeable and patient. I wish I could take this program and sensei with us to Germany."

Martial arts are a way to build the mind, body and spirit, Riley said.

"We never know what we can achieve until we try," the sensei said. "Martial arts will open the doors to a world of new and exciting things and help you in all areas of life.

"Many of my students have gone on in life to do great things for themselves and their community. I am happy to be a part of the dream."

"I absolutely love how I feel after my class - calm, relaxed and powerful," Bowman said. "This class has changed my life dramatically both physically and mentally.

"Even though the techniques get harder and harder, I know that I just need to try again until I figure it out and get it right, and never, ever give up."

At the end of each class, Riley has the children demonstrate respect towards each other, their sensei and their parents.

He tells them, "point to your hero," - their parents, before the children reunite with their parents to say "thank you."

No comments: