Thursday, October 02, 2014

The Air Force is a small world

Commentary by Air Force Staff Sgt. Sheila deVera
JBER Public Affairs


9/26/2014 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- Throughout your career, when you meet someone, you hope to bump into them someday and often times, you hear, "I'll see you around again; the Air Force is such a small world."

After graduating basic training in 2005, I never expected to see any members of my flight again. As some of us move on to the next chapter in our life and career, we try to keep in touch but often fall out of touch along the way.

I did the math. I have a 9 percent chance of seeing anyone from the 336th Training Squadron, Flight 140. So bumping into my dorm chief while stationed here at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson bringsback memories.

I was 22 years old when I decided to join the Air Force. With no military background, I bonded with the women I met. There were nights I cried myself to sleep and days when I would laugh about our experiences.

During the six grueling weeks of basic training, we had each other's back and encouraged each other to keep pushing. We reminded each other why we wanted to join the military when our will and determination seemed to be in question.

My dorm chief, now Air Force Staff Sgt. Madonna Henard, was our rock in the flight. Meeting her the first time was very intimidating. She fit the job as a dorm chief to make sure that all orders, standards operations, and instructions are carried out correctly when the training instructors were not around, because she did not tolerate any foolishness in our flight. When I needed a reminder why I was in basic training, she was there to remind me.

Seeing her again in the hallways of the People Center, I did a double-take. It was like I was in slow motion. "Dorm chief," I exclaimed.

She quickly looked at me and there was an instant reconnection. We talked about our experiences in basic training, the women in our flight and our brother flight. It also gave us the opportunity to talk about a possible reunion with Flight 140.

I am sure there have been other service members who reunited with their past, and I will not be the last one.

So, no matter where you are, you will always find someone who made an impact in your life in the military, or it could be someone who you simply made a connection with, had a short conversation with, or someone you were deployed with for the months you were away from your family. This individual may be a fellow coworker, who helped you transition to your previous duty base, or someone at technical school who shares the same experience.

In my case, I leaned on my fellow trainees to help me get through Basic Military Training when things got tough.

No matter what the circumstances are, we hope to see them again and to say these words: "I'll see you around again; the Air Force is such a small world."

Sometimes, it just takes the lyrics of a song or a familiar sight to bring back memories, but in my case, it takes people who I encountered during my military career. And no matter what path Henard and I take, she will always be my dorm chief.

No comments: