Friday, September 26, 2014

100th LRS commander's secretary gives insight into role

by Gina Randall
100th Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs


9/26/2014 - RAF MILDENHALL, England  -- "It's always stressful to start a new job," said Monika Skor, 100th Logistics Readiness Squadron commander's secretary from Kysucke Nove Mesto, Slovakia.

For Skor, this is her first job working on a military installation, and English is not her native tongue.

"This is my second language, and the military vocabulary seems to be unlike any other," she laughed. "They use many acronyms. Plus, American-English is a bit different to British-English, especially the accent. The language is for me the most challenging aspect of the job."

Skor has been in the secretary position in the squadron headquarters since August 2014, and has a support system to help her through any difficult times.

"I work with the commander's support staff. When I need some information or help, I can always ask them. Between us, we are like the hands of the commander," Skor said.

Her role is varied, and it's this variety she enjoys the most.

"The work is always ongoing. It can be repetitive but every day something is different. Sometimes I have to reschedule his day and phone people because [Maj. Michael Boswell, 100th LRS commander] wants to see an Airman," the Slovakian native explained. "Not every day is the same routine."

The commander is proud to have Skor as a new addition to the 100th LRS family.

"We are glad to have Monika and I knew she was special from the moment she walked in to be interviewed," Boswell said.

The role of a commander's secretary can be stressful, and it takes a very organized and conscientious individual to plan the day of a commander and ensure they are where they should be at any given time.

"Basically my job is to make sure that my commander, Maj. Boswell, is where he should be, reminding him where he has an appointment," she explained. "When people want to make an appointment with him, I schedule his calendar for a time when suitable and make sure he doesn't miss any important meetings."

Skor is very passionate about her role; she doesn't just see it as a job, but a career. She wants to make the most of each day and grow as a person, with the help of those around her.

"I hope I can be the best secretary that I can be. It's also a good opportunity to grow. You start on some kind of level, and then if you want to improve yourself, the best chances are here to move up. I will start here then maybe later I will work my way up," the secretary said.

Working so closely with the commander, it's a relationship where the two individuals must work well together and communicate with one another. Skor is grateful she has a good relationship with her commander, who makes her feel at ease as she adapts to her new environment.

"Maj. Boswell is absolutely brilliant. He has a very warm personality and makes it easy for me to learn. He likes to laugh, sing and is always in good mood. He's very friendly and it makes my job much easier," she reflected. "He always has a smile on his face. When he's laughing, everybody knows he's around."

It could be a difficult working relationship for some -- telling a commander what he should be doing takes a certain personality. But for secretaries, they are ensuring their commander meets his deadlines and that his busy day runs smoothly.

"I am a walking reminder behind him," Skor laughed. "I remind him 'Sir, you have to be at this place at this time.'"

The 100th LRS is proud to think of itself as a family, and for the newest member of the team, she hopes to have a long, and happy relationship with her new brothers and sisters of the 100th LRS.

No comments: