Friday, April 04, 2014

Jets take to air because of crew chief care

by Staff Sgt. Jessica Haas
8th Fighter Wing Public Affairs


4/4/2014 - KUNSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea  -- These Airmen put jets in the air - it's just that simple. Without them, the Wolf Pack couldn't execute its mission of taking the fight North, if ever needed.

In a nutshell, these technicians are responsible for the overall health of the jet. They take care of it the way a mother takes care of her infant.

Crew chiefs are charged with a lot of responsibilities, including the maintenance and inspection of the aircraft, as well as an overall check of the aircraft before the pilot arrives.

"It's my responsibility to ensure the jet is completely prepared and the pilot is confident and comfortable in flying the jet," said Senior Airmen Saeed Oglesby, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 80th Aircraft Maintenance Unit assistant dedicated crew chief. "We get them set and prepared to get into the cockpit and ensure everything is 100 percent ready for takeoff."

Once the pilot is introduced to the jet, the crew chief and pilot review all the required forms and ensure everything is to the pilot's liking.

"Once we review the paperwork, I accompany the pilot on a second walk around where everything on the jet is checked for at least the third time that day," said Oglesby. "I then assist the pilot into the cockpit as he buckles up and loads everything needed for the flight."

While crew chiefs go through a rigorous training program before getting stationed at their first base, like most other jobs in the Air Force, a lot is learned on the job.

"I love my job because it's challenging," said the crew chief. "I'm always constantly moving, I always have something to do and I also get to meet new people. The Juvats [80th Fighter Squadron] train me day in and day out. They throw me into the thick of things, which enables me to learn more in less time."

Being a crew chief in the Air Force is undoubtedly a difficult job - but it's the mission that motivates these men and women to show up to work every day, no matter what.

"There are days when you just don't want to work," said Staff Sgt. Matthew Golitko, 8th AMXS, 80th AMU dedicated crew chief. "The fact that we do have such an important mission here is the driving force in keeping me motivated to come in no matter what. This mission has to get done - that's just all there is to it."

Crew chiefs are appreciated by many, including the pilot Oglesby worked with at a recent jet prep.

"I just moved here so I haven't had the chance to work with many crew chiefs, but so far they're great," said 1st Lt. Stowe Symon, 80th FS pilot. "I've worked with Golitko a few times and he does an awesome job."

No matter if it's day or night, hot or cold or if these Airmen are working while in chemical warfare gear, they always ensure jets are able to fly - which is why the Wolf Pack is ready, 24/7/365.

No comments: