Monday, March 10, 2014

100th LRS woman honors heritage through performance

by Gina Randall
100th Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs


3/7/2014 - RAF MILDENHALL, England  -- Everyone assigned to the 100th Logistics Readiness Squadron fuels section has a mission and is responsible for various roles fulfilled at RAF Mildenhall.

The 100th LRS fuels section's primary task is getting fuel to aircraft. Without fuel, the 100th Air Refueling Wing's mission can't happen.

The fuel section is made up of several departments. There are the distributions operators, who drive the fuel trucks and issue fuel directly to the aircraft. There are also the hydrants sections, who are responsible for issuing and supplying bulk fuel and maintaining the pipelines on base. In addition, the fuel center manages questions and queries as well as dispatch trucks and accounting.

While men primarily fill these roles, there is a woman among them who ensures the fuel is clean, dry and free of sediment: U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Miranda Wolverton, 100th LRS fuels laboratory technician from Parsons, Kan.

"We test the fuel. It is vital to the safety of the aircraft that we provide fuel free from water or dirt, as any contamination could potentially risk the aircraft and its crew," Wolverton said.

Wolverton's motivation for joining the Air Force stemmed from her need to be a part of something bigger. In addition, Wolverton viewed her enlistment as a way to better herself, see the world and develop skills in a trade. More than anything, she wanted to serve her country.

"Every morning I get up, I lace up my boots and I am thankful I can make some type of difference," the fuels technician said. "I am happy and I enjoy what I do."

While Wolverton enlisted under open mechanical - without a specific career field selected - she was perfectly matched with her current job.

"I didn't find out I was in fuels until the day before I left basic training and went to technical school," she said.

Even though she mostly works with men, Wolverton has never felt alienated. For her, it's all about focusing on the job. Fitting into a "man's world" isn't something she actively thinks about. Her goal is to go to work daily with a positive attitude and do the very best she can so the mission can succeed.

Her supervisor is extremely proud of what she brings to the table each day.

"She pulls her weight just as capable as any man would, and she's proficient," said U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Anthony Davis, 100th LRS fuels laboratory technician from Columbia, S.C. "She definitely doesn't let anything get in the way of getting the job done."

Wolverton is happy to fit in and accomplish the mission.

"I don't see that there is that much of a difference, and I don't ever want to pull the girl card," Wolverton said. "I don't expect any special treatment. I don't want them to see that me being female is a downfall. I want them to look at me and say 'she can do the job as well as anyone else.'"

As with anyone, Wolverton faces her fair share of challenges. For her, though, it's not about overcoming the struggles but more about the people she overcomes them with each and every day that make the job all the more worthwhile.

"Fuels is like a big family; they treat me like a sister," Wolverton said.

The combination of good colleagues and the joy of being an Airman help drive her to think about her future and continuing to serve.

"It really is an honor to serve, I want to stay in the military," Wolverton said. "I don't know if I want to serve 20 years or not."

Wolverton's advice for women who might be considering joining the military is clear: do it.

"Set goals and make smart decisions, not only in your work life, but also your personal life," Wolverton said. "Apply yourself!"

Today, many female service members are also wives and mothers. As Wolverton has found, it's not about stereotypes or gender. It's more about what each person can bring to the table to ensure mission success.

"Don't let anybody tell you can't do it just because you are a woman," Wolverton stressed.

For anyone looking to join the Air Force, contact the RAF Mildenhall recruiters, Master Sgt. Phillip Guffa at DSN 238-4942 or commercial 01638 544942 or email Phillip.guffa@us.af.mil, or Tech. Sgt. Estuardo Mendoza at DSN 238-1566 or commercial 01638 541566 or email estuardo.mendoza@us.af.mil

No comments: